OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums

OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/index.php)
-   General Topics (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Mobile Broadband USB Dongle (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=23847)

moeee 15th April 2012 03:15 PM

Mobile Broadband USB Dongle

Anyone use these Internet things.

They cost a lot less than Cable Broadband and ADSL.

But man do they run slow.
Especially when you have very limited time to get your wager on.

I am particularly finding massive slowdown now that the Easter Break is here , and i attribute it to the School Closedown and Kids are spending much time hogging up the Internet because they have nothing else to do.

Anyone else having dramas with their dongle , particularly in the last week or so?

Shaun 15th April 2012 04:23 PM

Cost less, like how?

I pay $59 a month for an 8mb connection with 200gig download, you tell me any wifi that gets close to that.

Chrome Prince 15th April 2012 04:37 PM

Moeee,

I pay $49.99 per month with TPG 200GB download peak and 200GB off peak on ADSL2+.
Depending on your requirements, you might be better off with this and a wifi modem at home.
Offsite, I use free Wifi connections at cafe's and the city, but anywhere else I pair my Iphone with a laptop and use that as a "dongle".

Much faster than the dongles you buy.

moeee 15th April 2012 05:26 PM

Thanks guys.

My Contract I only can use 1.5 Gig per month and that is often almost double what I need.
I pay $15 per month.
I feel uncomfortable jumping from $15 to $50 to prevent the occasional missed wager and the more frequent frustration of Pages taking yonks to download.

I don't got a landline.
I'm quite content with the system , its just recently its become super unreliable.
The thing with most contracts is most of the money goes toward heaps of gigs.
There don't seem to be real cheap broadband plans for small gig users like me.
Except the dongle. :(

AngryPixie 16th April 2012 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Prince
I pair my Iphone with a laptop and use that as a "dongle".

Much faster than the dongles you buy.

Probably depends who you "dongle" with. I'm using a Telstra 4G USB dongle now and I don't notice a huge amount of difference over wireless.

moeee 16th April 2012 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPixie
Probably depends who you "dongle" with. I'm using a Telstra 4G USB dongle now and I don't notice a huge amount of difference over wireless.

So when you Load a page ,its there for you within say 2 seconds , 99 times out of 100?

And does it cost anywhere near below say $40 a month , say about $30 , or $25?

norisk 16th April 2012 09:39 AM

Yes, all comes down to the provider IMHO - think what you like about Telstra but for mobile coverage I wouldn't use anyone else.

No longer need to use a dongle as my 4G android wifi hotspot works a treat.

Shaun 16th April 2012 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeee
Thanks guys.

My Contract I only can use 1.5 Gig per month and that is often almost double what I need.
I pay $15 per month.
I feel uncomfortable jumping from $15 to $50 to prevent the occasional missed wager and the more frequent frustration of Pages taking yonks to download.

I don't got a landline.
I'm quite content with the system , its just recently its become super unreliable.
The thing with most contracts is most of the money goes toward heaps of gigs.
There don't seem to be real cheap broadband plans for small gig users like me.
Except the dongle. :(

Wow i couldn't live on that, 1.5g is my daily use and that is just for racing the rest i use for movies.

Hey Chrome that is a nice price i might have to check them out, being in the country i am a bit restricted on what i can get and i need voip access with my account as well.

I don't like skype prefer a hardline voip account and use my 200gig a month so need that bit extra.

moeee 16th April 2012 04:13 PM

I was figuring that the school holidays was causing bored kids to be clogging the Internet playing games and facebook and stuff.
And that was messing up my Internet Super Slow.

Today it seems holidays are over and the kids have returned to school.
Lo and Behold , my Internet is back up to ordinary Slow instead of Super Slow. :)