OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums

OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/index.php)
-   General Topics (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   What's the One thing? (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=28381)

Rinconpaul 12th May 2014 09:10 AM

What's the One thing?

Looking back on your punting career, what's the ONE thing, you'd most wished you had done from the outset?

For me, it was NOT subscribing to a searchable database. Now that I'm looking to move into sports betting, that's now my priority, to have all the stats on my side. However, I've found the free Betfair historical data to be full of errors and inconsistencies.

Shaun 12th May 2014 09:28 AM

For me learning everything i could about excel and web interaction, maybe even programming.
When i first started you had to go to the TAB or the track for a bet, i programmed my first ratings system on an XT computer in GWBasic.

I don't know if it would have made a huge difference to my punting as that has changed in the last few years from ratings to odds betting, but i would have more knowledge to help others following along the same path as mine.

Puntz 13th May 2014 09:58 AM

Long list of that would've-could've-should've-one-things, paradoxically speaking.
But similar to Shaun, some programming to compliment Excel/VBA or at least basic web site courses to better understand the guts of what web page source codes actually do.

darkydog2002 13th May 2014 10:48 AM

Keeping things very simple.

Pat123 13th May 2014 11:02 PM

Make money day in day out rather than gamble.

Vortech 14th May 2014 06:03 AM

Don't invest in pay services. 99% of them don't make you money and the ones that do require many hours that could be utilised in other areas to make more money.

Use your own experiences and create your own theories and if you are nervous before a race starts about a selection you have invested too much money.

evajb001 14th May 2014 10:05 AM

Be more disciplined, I still don't bet profitably and I'm working towards it but I still just have brain farts sometimes where I have a real lack of discipline. Also buying a database from the very start would've made quite a bit of difference.

Chrome Prince 14th May 2014 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortech
Don't invest in pay services. 99% of them don't make you money and the ones that do require many hours that could be utilised in other areas to make more money.

Use your own experiences and create your own theories and if you are nervous before a race starts about a selection you have invested too much money.

Totally agree Vortech.

Vortech 14th May 2014 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Prince
Totally agree Vortech.

Sorry 98% don't work, 1% take too long the other 1% are like CPs great database!

aussielongboat 24th May 2014 09:31 PM

i think it would have been to try NOT to identify the horse most likely to win the race - BUT to identify the one likely to be at the best value