OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums

OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/index.php)
-   Horse Race Betting Systems (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Can Excluding Over-Bet Factors Make a Difference? (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=26869)

Brett V.02 25th July 2013 07:15 PM

Can Excluding Over-Bet Factors Make a Difference?

Hi All,

Having read a lot of the previous threads, one aspect that has always intrigued me is the concept of filters.

My intention of this thread is to look at when a filter becomes 'over-bet' and then as such, becomes a detriment to our profit.

My first contribution is Barriers - I have read on here, and believe that the inside barriers are over-bet. So with this in mind I took a system that had a little bit of success, and applied the filter, barrier 6 or wider.

The S/R dropped slightly but the POT lifted at a lot higher level.

Now I will preface this by saying, I do not have a database and have used a free source to look at the figures and I doubt if it is overly reliable, but all I did was run the system, then add the filter and the results were positive.

I am interested in 2 things:-

1 If the database guys out there have ever run this filter and does it return similar results?

2 Are there any other 'over-bet' factors people believe can have a similar effect.

Cheers

Brett

UselessBettor 25th July 2013 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett V.02
Hi All,

1 If the database guys out there have ever run this filter and does it return similar results?

2 Are there any other 'over-bet' factors people believe can have a similar effect.
1. Yes inside barriers are a well known to be overbet. The further out you get the more the profit it likely to rise.

2. Yes there are many. Some depend on the situation. For example first uppers who have won first up before are generally overbet, but resumers in general are underbet. There are many more situations like that as well.

beton 25th July 2013 08:26 PM

They are generally overbet for a reason. exploit the reason, don't go for next layer of low hanging fruit

Brett V.02 25th July 2013 08:37 PM

Hi Benton and UB,

I fear I have tried to feast on Low Hanging fruit for years............. ;)

UB, I know you used to have a great site to test systems on, what happened to it if you don't mind me asking?

darkydog2002 25th July 2013 08:55 PM

I found under $3 for me were overbet and unprofitable and since I now wont bet anything under that the profit has increased considerably..
This applies to both wet and dry conditions.

Cheers

beton 25th July 2013 09:09 PM

Beware that by saying "I will only bet above my breakeven point" only moves the breakeven higher and greatly reduces the bets. It does not improve the bottom line. Moving away from the low prices may bring it into profit, but get too greedy and you run the risk of losing out. You are better to ask why the bets are overbet in a similar manner that RP did for longshots. Remove some obvious deadwood to improve the bottomline.

Brett V.02 25th July 2013 09:37 PM

Benton,

What if I fear I am the DEADWOOD!!!!!! :)

Lord Greystoke 25th July 2013 09:48 PM

Quote:
Benton,

What if I fear I am the DEADWOOD!!!!!! :)
LOL you might be if you keep stuffing up his name?!

LG

Brett V.02 25th July 2013 09:55 PM

Wow,

Sorry LG and Beton............I have misread your name since the start of time

hahahahaha

SpeedyBen 26th July 2013 12:59 AM

Quote:
Wow,

Sorry LG and Beton............I have misread your name since the start of time

hahahahaha
You can beton it, Brett.