View Single Post
Old 11th December 2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
A tough spring racer but when did 'helping the poor old punter' ever get a look in by the managing Moguls in Horse Racing ?

As for class, forget the [ever changing] ******'s breakfast class rating floor-show and watch the race prices [what the horse is racing for and what price races it has won]. That will tell you more about 'class' than any class system the powers that be whip up.

Well Crash it will be very interesting to see what happens but I just can't see it helping anyone. As you mention, to look at the bullion side of racing - but even that might well be a farce because as you know, the MAJOR thing that matters in racing's final analysis is one horse's goods, RELATIVE to each of the rest of the runners in the race, and that's where the fun is going to begin.
So we shall see how good the odds
makers and the bettors are, as they try to wade through that to which xptdriver refers in his #5 post - I'm thinking it will be hilarious for a trainer
(or anyone else)trying to
ascertain his chances of pulling off a betting coup when he looks at another
runner in his horse's race and sees one is going up from o-62 to 0-74, the next one is going down from 0-86 to 0-68 and so on throughout the field,THEN, he moves to the relative weights of each runner.
I mean it's going to be real easy to whack a Gorilla on his runner,(and I don't think) and maybe all this is just what the powers that be are intending.
Can you just remind me Crash how long racing has been in existence and how ************ marvelous it's been ?
and then wonder why in hell are they determined to fiddle about in this manner now 2000 years later, I'm sure you and all the other lads have noticed the dreadful slide in quality runners.

Stugots mentions being a carnival punter and it's no wonder because that's the only time any decent horses are going around and fortunately\apparently
they are not intending to fiddle about with OPENS or GROUP races - YET !!!

Angry Pixie deals with the odds and %'s by the sound of it, and I will hope
that he can report in 12 months to there being no change in his hopefully winning ways.To your question Pix., I refer you to the above from hilarious on down.
We all know that approx. 30-33% favs. win each year regardless of which track in the WORLD, upto now, - it will be interesting to note if that approx. continues.( mind you I've always been slightly astounded that those fav. approxs' vary so little across the world).
Pixie, is there any chance,with you being a tech. analyst, of taking a stab at why the latter matter might be so please ?

Regards.