View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2011, 05:30 PM

FWIW, I picked up a Lenovo z560 earlier in the year and love it.

Here's it's specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5 460M 2.53GHz (Turbo 2.8GHz)
Chipset: Intel HM55
Storage: 500GB 5400rpm
Optical: DVD multi-burner
Display: 15.6" HD WXGA LED Glossy (1366 x 768)
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GT 310M 1GB
Comms: 10/100 base Ethernet, Lenovo Wireless (a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.0
Webcam: Integrated 1.3mp
Card Reader: Integrated
Ports: 3 x USB, HDMI, eSATA
Audio: Integrated w/ Stero Speakers
Battery: 6 cell
O.S.: Windows 7 Home Premium

You can get a Lenovo z560 now for as little as $599 (after $100 cashback), but it isn't through Harvey Norman. It easily does everything I need it too, which is mostly just internet browsing, Word processing and Excel spreadsheets.

From personal experience, I would steer clear of Compaq and Acer laptops. I've had good experiences with Toshibas. My Mum has had a Toshiba laptop for 6 years now, and she still loves it, and it hasn't had any problems.

Um, just a heads up in case you weren't aware. Harvey Norman and Dick Smith Electronics are just about the most expensive places to buy electronics from, but they will match competitor's prices. So if you must shop at either of them, go online first and find the best price from a competitor, print it out, and take it in to DSE or HN, and they'll match it.

I also highly recommend the staticice.com.au website. It's basically just a price comparison website for electronic products in Australia. It will list who is selling the electronic product you're after, and for what price, and it seems to be kept very up-to-date. As crazy as it sounds, it's often cheaper to order products from interstate and have them shipped to your door, than it is to buy from the shop around the corner.

Good luck.