Thread: Calling Chrome
View Single Post
Old 24th April 2012, 01:30 PM

although I found this paragraph from the ruling very interesting (enlightening?)

In the course of the litigation Betfair abandoned its contentions that the burden of the fee is such that it cannot continue profitably to offer wagering services on New South Wales thoroughbred racing and harness racing and that it is likely to exit from that market. Indeed, in cross-examination, the Chief Executive Officer of Betfair, Mr A J Twaits, agreed that Betfair had not reduced the number or type of horse races in New South Wales upon which it seeks wagers, nor had the licence fee affected the odds offered; changes by Betfair in its business strategy had not been driven or impacted by the introduction of the fee. Perram J made the following findings[22]:

"The respondents alleged that as at September 2008 and at the time of the trial Betfair would continue to take steps to expand its betting exchange system in relation to many different kinds of events. Mr Twaits accepted this in cross-examination and I find it to be the fact.
The respondents alleged that it was likely that Betfair would conduct its business with a view to building a customer base and increasing goodwill across the whole of that integrated business and, again, Mr Twaits agreed that this was so and I so find.
The respondents alleged that Betfair would consider which decisions to make in response to the race fields fee and, again, Mr Twaits agreed that this was so only if, however, Betfair was unsuccessful in these proceedings. I so find."