View Single Post
Old 5th November 2012, 12:47 PM

I have never done any real stats on this most has been from observations but i still believe that following runners is the best option.

There has always been 2 issues stopping me from doing this.

1) Finding the right horses to follow, although this is less of a problem if we use the old placed at group level idea.

2) The amount of money out compared to money returned, this type of bet would be regarded as a floating bet because you would be adding funds every time a horse ran and the funds returned when it won.

The best option for this is to set some type of time period or runners in the stable, if we continually add runners then we would always be in a negative return.

You have to decide if you are happy with bets spaced over weeks rather than days, you could decide to run with a stable of 20 horses and only adding to that stable once you were down to 5 horses, you also need to decide if you are only going to follow them until they win or continue to follow them.

I still believe that over a lifetime the top grade performers would be in profit, but could you only follow some horses for maybe 7 years of racing, maybe a few but hard to do for all your punting, this would be a long term investment like stocks, but like stocks if you find the right horse it could return some nice profits.

Lets just look at the winners last Saturday in Melbourne.

B2P = bet to prices
Race 1 8 Starts 2 Wins B2P 116.8%
Race 2 18 Starts 8 Wins B2P 53.3%
Race 3 5 Starts 2 Wins B2P 130.9%
Race 4 4 Starts 3 Wins B2P 78.4%
Race 5 33 Starts 10 Wins B2P 112.4%
Race 6 15 Starts 3 Wins B2P 86.4%
Race 7 9 Starts 4 Wins B2P 304.8%
Race 8 11 Starts 4 Wins B2P 176.7%
Race 9 14 Starts 8 Wins B2P 78.8%

I know this seams very random but you could do this any Saturday as this shows over a lifetime good horses make a profit.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee