View Single Post
Old 25th June 2014, 03:11 PM

Default Duplicate Horse Names

Does anyone have a list of duplicate horse names used in Aus/NZ racing? For example, there are two horses named "Ready to Rule" that are running presently: one in Queensland, one in New Zealand. I just happened to stumble over the fact when investigating a time that looked bogus. Were I using a database and searching via name, the two sets of horse's results would be conflated into one.

If no-one has a list (or feels inclined to share) how would I find these dupes? Is a registry with public/free access kept someplace?

And I just recalled that It's A Dundeel was known simply as "Dundeel" in New Zealand. Do you just have to be in the right place at the right time to hear about these changes? Or is there some means to discover it retrospectively?

I also gather you can't reuse an unrestricted horse name for a number of years after it's left racing or breeding. Do people running a database do some maintenance where, if a horse hasn't contested a race in 5 years, they change its name to "Dundeel (year)", for example, to guard against future duplication?