Thread: 100/20 plan
View Single Post
Old 28th June 2002, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
On 2002-06-27 22:00, hermes wrote:
Placegetter: does your motto encapsulate your betting strategy? Pick winners - back them to place. Is this your approach to picking placegetters? Try to select the winner - back it to place. Do you ever bet each way? How often do horses you've selected to win but backed to place win? That's a problem with place betting for me. If I back a horse to place and it wins I start thinking "if only...."

Horses I've picked to win and backed for a place that still won would be about the same as the number of horses I've picked to win and backed to place which subsequently came fourth! :sad:

Do I ever back to win? Yes. Last weekend I backed an absolute certainty in Adelaide called Shocks, it got held up in the run home and finished 2nd. The only thing it was absolutely certainly going to do was place, which is where my money should have been.

In reality I have two banks. 90% of my money is place only betting (1st is still a place) and 10% goes on guesses, quinellas, crap races (includes the Melbourne Cup) etc. Oddly enough, at the end of the month I rarely have to top the bank up to the 10% level, but I just consider this lucky.

Privateer has suggested a couple of times on this site that people starting out try 1 unit to win, 4 to place. Maybe this will solve your "if only" thoughts. My experience was I said more often than not "If only that last unit was on for a place".

If any exotic bettors needs someone adept at picking 2nd and 3rd placegetters, I'm your man! My horses fall in for third just as often as they win by 2 lengths, probably lots more.

Hope this gives you an idea as to why I bet the way I do. Good luck this weekend.

Placegetter