Thread: WTA
View Single Post
Old 31st March 2005, 06:27 PM

An interesting couple of matches tonight.

Clijsters v Mauresmo.
Nasdaq Semi-Final.

I rate Clijsters a 66% chance of winning this match. Her current form is superb and she sounds very confident in her interviews. She does talk about a few aches and pains but then again which player doesn't. She didn't appear to burn too much fuel in her demolition of Dementieva yesterday so she should be relatively 'fresh' for this match. Since her comeback, Clijster's serve appears both stronger and more accurate. Moreover, her baseline play remains as strong as ever and no one can question her fighting spirit. Mind you, Mauresmo does have claims and could obviously win but Clijsters 7-2 H2h advantage suggests otherwise (Clijster's has won the last 6). I'm sure this will be close and a lot will hinge on the first set. However the value is with the Belgian.

Clijsters $1.59 5Dimes

Sharapova v Williams:
Too many 'ifs' and 'buts' in this match for me. Sharapova's back is a definite concern as it gave her a lot of grief during the second set with Henin. Remember she was leading 4-1 and serving prior to the problem and after taking treatement, she lost the set 7-5. Of course she went on to beat the 'rusty' Henin but Sharapova stated during her post match interview that her back might be an 'issue'. Therefore if Venus can replicate her form from the first set with Serena, then this should be an entertaining affair. Then again, Venus is still getting over a slow-healing abdominal injury that forced her to withdraw from Indian Wells.