View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2005, 12:35 PM

I dont want to be a spoilsport but frankly Ive not seen any ratings method using times or "beaten lengths" or,even weight (!!!) which is anything other than wishful and arbitrary nonsense. Thus any book by Gary Robinson (if there's only one G.R.)has to be a lot of reading for little result. Times dont tell you how the race COULD"VE been run if other tactics were employed by the jockeys (as they may be in Today's race****. Nor do beaten lengths tell you if the horses were "ridden out" etc.Or if the jockey/horse was really trying at all!!! Take a HUMAN example like last years Olympic 5000m final.
El Ghouruj is 1500 champion and world 1500/mile/2000 record holder(and second fastest over 3000/2 miles; Bekele is 10000 champion and world record holder at 5K as well. El Ghouroj is getting older now, moving up and is a 12:48:25 runner (Bekele world record 12:44:30).Every runner in the field (16) is sub 12:56. The race ends with El GHouruj 1st by hundredths of a second to Bekele and the rest many metres back. BUT the time is.......13:15!!!! On time everyone should've beaten 1+2 by 20 to 30 seconds!!!! However it was CLASS that told, no matter the time. Looking backward at this race,in which you can be sure everyone WAS trying ,time is hugely deceptive and margins mean absolutely nothing:many of those athletes would be CLOSER at near world record pace!!
Apply this to horseracing (where many animals are being constantly restrained) and the difficulties multiply. Oh and weight? Is a Kilo Penalty worth more/less if the horse itself weighs 100Kg more/ less? Is a heavier horse (like a heavier man) disadvantaged by longer distances? Is a kilo of lead harder to carry than a kilo of jockey?etc etc.If anyone's got the answers I'd like to know
I await everyone's blistering replies and wish you all good luck this afternoon,
P57