View Single Post
Old 6th September 2005, 01:08 PM

"Btw I only bet to win..i don't bet e/w or place"

Well we certainly have something in common there w934 and I think our logic is on firm ground [donning fireproof suit as this will be read by others].

I just cant live with the low p.o.t on e/w betting..it just aint worth it for me when backing longer priced horses because one seldom gets true value..i.e 1/4 the win price, or better. The profit margin on the place really knocks the win punting dollar around. Wityh short priced horses it may be a different scenario altogether...but that is not my area.

I know others will disagree, and that is fine by me. Ive looked at this long and hard and I cant make the numbers work for me...

When a horse is paying $7 or so for the place.. I can see the old maxim "pick em to win and back 'em for a place" coming to the fore, but I am not a place bettor.

With win betting you can get too many seconds..with e/w betting you get too many 4ths..lol As for Trifectas etc..it gets even worse for me..yet I know that others love Tri's...and they know how to make them work.