View Single Post
Old 4th February 2003, 10:57 AM

G.I.R.,

last year someone put up a post asking for suggestions for a Forum betting system and one reply was "bet on Sunline".

And he was right...if you had only bet Sunline for the place for a couple of years you would have probably had a 100% SR and a great POT.

I have a trot system which puts up about 50 place selections per month. If I bet every one of them I get about an 80%SR and a POT of 20+%.
If I then put in a price filter and make it a bet only if its paying over $1.40 then the SR goes up and the POT goes up to 50% and I get about 4 bets per week.

If I then got fussier and only bet on the best horse in my system on a regular basis I would get a 95% SR and a wonderful POT but would average only 1 bet every week and a half.

And that wouldnt be any fun :smile:
(However, there are probably a dozen animals in the three racing disciplines that if followed exclusively would give a very high SR and POT.)

Many people disagree with me but I think the SR is critical because the higher you can get it the further away you are from disaster.
If your SR is 10% you are always on the brink of disaster and you could be wiped out by a nose.
If your SR is 90% you can only ever lose a very small percentage of your bank at worst.

I would also advocate that a beginner only spend 2 or 3% of their bank at most on bets regardless of what their SR is or is planned to be.
Start slowly with a high SR, this should mean you are playing with the TAB's money after the first few bets, and then kkep using their money whilst you build up the bank.
Making a small amount of profit may seem pointless to some, but it doesnt take long ( only a few months) before your bank escalates in size.

Let me finally conclude by saying that anyone starting out in this endeavour should try to get the highest SR possible.
Then, as they accumulate money and look and learn and become more familiar they can look to higher paying results with lower SR's- if they feel a need to.
But I dont think anyone should start out with a method that gives only a 20%SR - you are too close to disaster.

see ya
Every Topic