View Single Post
Old 9th July 2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkermac
Ghaiyyath runs a BIG track record in the first Group 1 of British racing following the resumption. This is a serious racehorse, comfortably beating big guns Anthony Van Dyck, Stradivarius and Defoe.
I don't really follow European racing, aside from an occasional check-in for this thread, but I wished I jumped aboard the Ghaiyyath train. He took out the Coral-Eclipse Stakes earlier this week, beating the equal-best horse in the world Enable by over 2 lengths. Two-time Arc winner Enable was first up after a 9 month break but has a pretty good record in that regard, including taking out this same race last year. I very much doubt we'll see Ghaiyyath out here - even if foreign horses do make it.

The Melbourne Cup race conditions are still not out but there is now a timeline regarding nominations and such:

Nominations close: noon, Thursday 27 August ($1,800)
Late entries close: noon, Thursday 3 September ($5,500)
First declarations: noon, Tuesday 29 September ($2,000)
Second declaration: noon, Tuesday 13 October ($3,000)
Third declaration: 10am, Monday 26 October ($4,000)
Final declaration: 4:30pm, Saturday 31 October ($49,500)

So it'll set you back over $60k to get your horse in the race (so long as it qualifies and makes the final field!). These are the same prices as last year's so it's just as well they haven't reduced the prizemoney (as announced last Tuesday). Presuming the splits are the same, so long as your horse finishes in the top 12 you'll earn at least $75k profit and anywhere up to around $3.7mil (not including trophies).