View Single Post
Old 30th May 2019, 05:27 PM

Steel Prince is the first horse into the 2019 Melbourne Cup after winning last weekend's Andrew Ramsden. He's at $31 in early Melbourne Cup betting, finishing just 0.1L ahead of Surprise Baby ($26) who inarguably had the better race: drawn second widest, 3 wide or worse the trip, back further than midfield but took the lead at the 200m mark before being narrowly out-sprinted in the final furlong. Eastender ($67) flashed home to finish in 3rd position, 2.4L adrift.

Having a ballot exemption for the Andrew Ramsden was intended to provide a pathway for Australian horses into the Cup. While Steel Prince is Irish-bred and had a handful of early races there, it seems he's been a local since 2017. From August 2018, Steel Prince has had 11 starts for 7 wins and 4 seconds (with all bar two starts at 2400m or greater).

Now spelling, his connections will be able to tailor his Spring program so that he peaks on Cup Day.

(sorry for my dupe info Rogan Josh, I've had this browser tab open for a couple of days waiting for motivation to strike; I didn't refresh before posting)