Thread: Rugby Union
View Single Post
Old 21st March 2019, 05:32 PM

Default SANZAR announcement-Bye Be Sunwolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiz
"It is expected that SANZAAR will announce on Friday that the Sunwolves will be removed from Super Rugby only three years after their inclusion. As part of more revamping, Super Rugby will abolish the conference system and return to a round-robin format where everyone plays each other once."

Source:RugbyPass

I wish we all could meet at a pub and have a great discussion about that press release. We could say a lot of things that ought not be printed online.

I didn’t think the Super Rugby system was broken enough (or at all) to need fixing when SANZAR added the Sunwolves and Jaguars, but I did understand the idea of tapping the Asian audience. OK, then why stop now of all times. Sure, the Sunwolves were awful at first but they are more competitive this year. More important to the Asian rugby audience, the 2019 Rugby World Cup is going to be played in Japan which ought to carry over into a large following of the Sunwolves when other Super Rugby teams visit, if they play all their home games in Japan. Then comes the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, including rugby sevens. That ought to further reinforce rugby in Japan. How about SANZAR taking some of the big TV and gate receipts that ought to happen in Japan and help visitors with travel expenses. If 2020 is a bad season for the Sunwolves on the field and at the gate, then pull the plug. I think this season is too soon, but I’d love to hear from you all.