View Single Post
Old 16th August 2020, 07:47 AM

In the old days you could always back the official favourite, I would ring up my bookmaker and ask for 20.00 on the official fav. which was declared after the event and would get paid the official starting price. These days knowing which horse will be fav., second fav, etc prior to the event is not always possible. That is why I pre-determine Fav. order from prepost prices.
An example of this was a system of place betting the fav. in the Melbourne cup. In 1974 I was at the cup intending to have a place bet on the fav.
unfortunately there were two equal favs Battle Heights and Leilani so with only a little time left before the off I tossed a coin and it came up to put the bet on Battle Heights. 200 meter's to go Battle Heights hit the lead and I was certain it would run the place and I would have a win, Alas Think Big won and Leilani ran a place and was the official fav. I have never tossed a coin since to decide what to back.

A lot of punters want to know prior to backing a fav. conditions, days since last start, where it ran last time out and a myriad of other conditions. This
link to Adrian Massey site will show the futility of all that effort.

Massey

Cheers

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”
“If the plan doesn’t work, change the plan, but never the goal.”
“Let us learn to appreciate there will be times when the trees will be bare, and look forward to the time when we may pick the fruit.”