View Single Post
Old 11th April 2016, 11:02 AM

Good luck in the hospital, Neil.

Your post reminded me of some of the work that Rinconpaul (and beton?) shared on the forum. Somewhere around here there is:

* a "% Win SR Ready Reckoner" spreadsheet: given the price of the favourite, it gives each price-ranked runner's historical chance of winning. That is, if a favourite is $2 it has on average a 42% chance of winning (bookmaker overround presumably), the 2nd fave has a 20% chance of winning, and so on. Per Neil's post, he's really looking for favourites priced at greater than 30% ($3.33) - the long-term odds of favourites winning (ignoring field size/race class) - and limited his outlay to the most extreme chance (the longest-priced favourite at a race meeting). With the Reckoner you could also search for 2nd/3rd/4th faves longer than their historical odds. I think Rinconpaul's prices were from Betfair and he'd be endeavouring to react just before the jump, rather than far ahead of time. (http://www.ozmium.com.au/forums/sho...=ready+reckoner)

* a "StartingPrice_vs_WinSR" word document. For a given field size it gives the historical strike rate of each price ranking. So in an 8-horse field, you could be betting on 3rd faves if their price is greater than $5.97, to stay ahead of historical trends

* "Place Ready Reckoner": For the favourite in a given field size, back if its place odds are longer than the historical average (e.g. in an 8-horse field where the fave is in the "average" range of $1.80-$3.40, only back the favourite for a place so long as you're getting more than $1.37)

I never used the files myself (were the others from the monster "DNA of a Longshot Winner" thread?) and I think Rinconpaul was more concerned with the lay side of things, so be cautious and happy hunting