View Single Post
Old 1st February 2015, 10:08 PM

Question The Betting Enigma

I've just seen the movie 'The Imitation Game' where the Brits are trying to work out how to break the German U boat enigma code and I was wondering whether, somehow, it would be possible to predict a certain outcome so as we have the odds of it occurring turn in our favour?

The betting enigma, to me, is that we know exactly how many 1st favourites, 2nd favourites, etc, will win in any given 100, 1000 races (i.e. 33% of 1st favs WILL win, 20%? of 2nd favs WILL win, etc) over a certain period of time HOWEVER the enigma (or dilemma) to me is that every race result will be random.

Kind of like tossing a coin here. Heads might come up 10 throws in a row. What are the chances of a head coming up again? 50/50 even though over a lot of throws the numbers will also be somewhere around 50% heads & 50% tails.

And with horse racing that 1.20 odds on pop SHOULD win and does most of the time but not all of the time.

So, can the enigma code be broken? Is it possible to predict the result of the next race based on the results of the previous races in timed order whether that be on that day, week or year or is it just random with the knowledge that the strike rates will prevail no matter how random it looks?

What do you think, code-breakers?

― Earl Nightingale