View Single Post
Old 12th February 2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Prince
Nowhere near the old block (Black Caviar) I'm afraid LG.
Equine genetics just don't work that way.
They basically want a clone of Black Caviar, and they aren't going to get it.
Early on, it was reported the Oscietra was worth 5 million, but they weren't selling her. Surely they should have broken her in, trialled her secretly at Euroa and then put her up for sale. She doesn't even resemble BC according to the trainer and is built differently, the trainer was very surprised that she went around odds on at her first start.

However, they will probably get one good horse from Black Caviar, as they are using her as a breeding machine sadly. They won't get a clone as good as her though, they'll get possibly one good horse that will win one or two Group races, and that's the best they can hope for.

Without delving too deeply into equine genetics, it boils down to not how good the Sire or Dam is, you can spend a fortune trying to get a champion, but whether the build, stride, lungs and heart are passed down as dominant genes, and how dominant those genetics are for the combination of sire and dam.

Makes for interesting reading Chrome. Genetics side interests me and I get your point regards pot luck. I have two different coloured eyes and a personality type that is maybe 2 - 5% of the population so you can probably see where I am coming from here.

LG