View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg
If I remember correctly a few years ago the Moderator informed us that a posting here did not speak well of a certain betting agency and that the criticism was true and justified. The site was consequently sued by the agency who was successful and won the case. It does not seem right in a fair world but if I'm correct in my recollection we can understand the Moderator's harsh rule.
In other words the site said they wouldn't remove the content and got hit by it, Courts are happy if you remove the content when requested and there would no action taken further by the agency. Sites are NOT responsible for what is written/posted providing they respond to take down requests.

UPDATE NOTE: Disregard what I wrote. I was wrong.

http://www.artslaw.com.au/info-shee...rs/#headingh312

Apparently Australian law is stupid and heavy handed so that sites can be liable for posters comments even if they take down the post. At least in the US responding to a take down request means they don't have to worry about being taken to court. That is not the case here.

Im actually surprised there are not more cases against facebook and google considering the rules in this country as everyone and anyone could sue them for anything they link to or their users post.