Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 8th November 2017, 09:17 PM

Default Disgusting action - Jockey punched horse

He should have been suspended for more than 2 weeks.

It may be a big blight on his career too as some trainers will now not hire him affecting his ability to make money in the long term.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/superr...a498f513b76b937

Considering this is the second jockey who has been fined for this in the lat few months this is absolutely disgusting. Harsher penalties like 3 month bans should be the minimum.
Old 9th November 2017, 09:45 AM

What an ****************!

― Earl Nightingale
Old 9th November 2017, 10:48 AM

As I read elsewhere, hard to believe that James McDonald gets 18 month suspension for betting on the horse he's riding but a jockey can forcefully punch a horse and only get fined or suspended for 2 weeks. There's something severely wrong with that line of thinking, particularly in this day and age when animal welfare is at the forefront of the majority's minds. I'd say he'd be pretty embarrassed about his actions but also begs the question, how often does this happen when its not caught on camera?
Old 9th November 2017, 04:54 PM

Watching that really pis$%d me off, I'd like to give him a punch to the guts when he wasn't expecting it! Payback asshole!

No wonder horse racing has a bad name in certain circles.
This act of animal cruelty was a moment when racing Aust (or whoever), could have set an example. Could have shown it has the animals welfare as its main concern. Which it should be, to all involved, especially to the damn jockey who makes a living of the animals back!!!
Instead we have people wondering how often this and worse happens. Not just on race day but in training also.

P.S. Sorry for swearing, animal welfare is something I care deeply about.

Mike.
Old 9th November 2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
He should have been suspended for more than 2 weeks.

It may be a big blight on his career too as some trainers will now not hire him affecting his ability to make money in the long term.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/superr...a498f513b76b937

Considering this is the second jockey who has been fined for this in the lat few months this is absolutely disgusting. Harsher penalties like 3 month bans should be the minimum.

Lets hope no one hires him ever again, he can go shovel horse ******** somewhere!!
Old 9th November 2017, 04:57 PM

lol it beeped me.
Old 9th November 2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike367
lol it beeped me.

Nothing wrong with being beeped on this topic. I 100% agree with your comments.
Old 9th November 2017, 10:40 PM

Pretty bad, just can't understand what he was "thinking" he must know that there are cameras everywhere, not that is anything to do with the severity, but I just mean.... WHAAAAAT?
Old 10th November 2017, 10:12 AM

I was at pub trivia last night and the topical jackpot question was: "How many horses died on Australian racetracks between August last year and July this year?". I got it right but my team wasn't as quick as another to get our answer in. They, like I, probably guessed the question ahead of time on account of the trivia host being an animal activist, but alot of other teams got close as well.

Perception of racing amongst the general public is changing. I certainly saw more anti-racing posts in my facebook newsfeed this year; more articles in the papers. If authorities don't get on top of incidents like Dylan Caboche's "brain fade" then public sentiment will turn even faster. It's hard to argue that they got it right in this instance. The commentary I've seen regarding it on racing forums is even firmer on that than from amongst the wider community. The most disappointing part of it all is how poorly the authorities reacted.

We very nearly saw the banning of greyhound racing in NSW. Horse racing has an elevated position within the racing codes, but that can very well change and certainly won't save it from the public's concern with justice and welfare.

Wearing fur used to be a sign of wealth and sophistication, now even fake fur is widely considered offensive. Sentiment can change and it seems to happen even faster now than it used to: 13 years ago only 38% of Australians supported same sex marriage; another poll - on the eve of the postal vote - had it at 63%.

There were 137 horses who died at race meetings during that 12 month period. That stat was recorded by the Coalition for the Protection of Racehorses using steward's reports (and doesn't include training accidents, wastage, etc).

As an indication of what a member of the general public may think, were they aware of the facts, here is what the CPR have to say about themselves:

"CPR as an entity is not philosophically opposed to horseracing, CPR is opposed to the widespread cruelty within the racing industry, such as:

The public executions of racehorses in jumps racing
The beating of horses with the whip
The throwaway culture which sees thousands of thoroughbreds sent to a premature death each year, usually at a knackery or abattoir.
The racing of underdeveloped horses in 2 year old racing which often predisposes them to further injury and death"

I imagine that the CPR and I would be in agreeance regarding our disapproval of Caboche's actions and I can't say that I would miss jumps or 2yo racing were they to be removed from the calendar. The horse racing industry will never satisfy some, but getting moderate voices offside as well endangers its future. The 2 week suspension just showed that the authorities aren't sensing the change in the winds....
Old 10th November 2017, 04:59 PM

The South Australian RSPCA has a petition running to increase the penalty that Dylan Caboche recieved.

And yes I added my name to it.