Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 7th November 2005, 09:08 PM

Question 'general rules' rather than system?

Hey folks,

Here is one I have been thinking about for a few years. Let me know what you think or how I might improve it... I created it to try and take advantage of ratings based handicapping (RBH) but it might work well everywhere, even if there is not RBH.

I bet on fast/good tracks only.

1. Race is a class 1 thru 6 at any track except tasmania.
2. Runner ran 1st, 2nd or 3rd last start, or was beaten less than 2 len.
3. Runner must be up in weight since last start (RBH rewards good runs)
4. Runner must be ridden by a senior jock.
5. Runner must be drawn inside gate 10 or fit barrier profile for that track
6. Runner must be in the first 4 favourites nearing jump time
6a. If more than one runner qualifies rules 1 thru 5, back the shortest one. If more than 3 qualify rules 1 thru 5, ignore the race.

All of these rules are based on sound handicapping techniques but I wonder if ultimately the starting price might be the downfall. I would love to know what you think...?
Old 7th November 2005, 09:23 PM
Galilee

Question

Whats wrong with the apple isle!?
Old 7th November 2005, 09:24 PM
Galilee

Question

...and are we including the NT?
Old 7th November 2005, 09:27 PM
Galilee

Question

..sorry ! just 1 more question....re point 6....Runner must be in the first 4 favourites nearing jump time....nearing would equate to eg. 2 mins or less??
Old 7th November 2005, 10:47 PM

Hi Westwinners,

It was interesting reading your general rules. I think if you were to go into your local TAB and ask the punters for some of their "general rules," you would probably get at least 100 different rules. There's just so many different ideas for filtering fields and finding one's final selections.

1. No group races? Also, many punters prefer to just stick with metro Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide races.

2. I think the placed in last race rule is a good one as it helps to find horses in good form. I haven't looked at the beaten by a certain distance rule much in the past, but I'd guess it has some merit.

3. I don't think the weight carried has too much bearing on the races nowadays. I think it did in the past when the weights seemed to be more extreme. A good horse can win at almost weight nowadays.

4. I don't really care if my horse has a senior or apprentice jockey on board. Jockeys haven't had any influence on my selections and results thus far, though a lot of punters here do seem to have their favourite jockeys.

5. In general, I ignore the barrier draw. A good horse can win from any barrier, so just make sure your selections have good form.

6. Personally, I've never liked rules that focus on the first x number of favourites, because it seems you risk filtering out a good horse just because the other punters haven't backed it. In my mind, who cares what the totes' prices suggest. That said, I understand the majority of winners are found in the first 4 favourites, so I can see some logic in it, but then again what's the point if there's no value?

6a. If there's 2 selections in one race, wouldn't it be better to back the one at longer odds, instead of shorter? Again, this comes back to my stance of who cares what the other punters have backed. If there's better value on offer on one of your selections than another, I'd back for value anyday. Maybe you could establish a minimum price to qualify rule in order to get some value. Just a suggestion.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth. Good luck in your punting adventures, and I hope you find a winner or two.
Old 7th November 2005, 10:53 PM

Exclamation class beats ar*e

the higher the class the better as far as I'm concerned - more exposed form and performance patterns!!
Old 7th November 2005, 10:57 PM

...and point 2 - beaten less than 2 lens much more important than actual finishing position.
Old 7th November 2005, 11:09 PM

Seems to me some sound feedback so far westwinners.

Would just like to add if you have to keep rule 6 make it the first 6 favourites instead of 4. Might seem inconsequential but what a difference just widening the window of opportunity just that little bit more can make to the bank balance.
Old 8th November 2005, 04:58 AM
Suspended.

Must have finished 2 lengths or less from the winner last start but must NOT have run a place, would certainly fix the price problem this system will encounter.
Old 8th November 2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
Must have finished 2 lengths or less from the winner last start but must NOT have run a place, would certainly fix the price problem this system will encounter.

Absolutely agreed. Finishing place is irrelevant.