Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 27th March 2007, 11:19 AM

Default Computer help?

Any compuer buff there that can help me, my comp. is infected with something, firstly I get a pop up telling me that my comp is in danger of infection with "Spybot@MXT trojan" , then I get pop ups all over the place offering me the neccessary software to get rid of it etc etc. Also another pop up telling me that I have visited 625 "compromising" sites and that my marriage is in danger if I don't buy the software to get rid of it (hee hee)

I've got the Pop Up blocker on and I can hear it poping every few seconds. But these others seem to get around that????

I've got Norton on there as well and keep scanning, any help would be appreciated if I need to buy software etc etc
Old 27th March 2007, 11:50 AM
Banned

Old 27th March 2007, 01:02 PM

Stugots, thanks for that , unfortunately it has added another problem as I downloaded the FREE stuff only to find in the end they want a US$100, and now I'm unable to remove it from windows or even remove the icon. so daren't try anything else from there, I suspect it will be the same story every time.
Problem is my computer knowledge is limited to switching the comp on and off!! hee hee!

As I write, the ************ thing is beeping and telling me I have a critical alert, send the $100 immediately, GRRRRRRR
Old 27th March 2007, 01:33 PM

Hi PartyPooper,
Crash had a thread devoted to this topic a while back, detailing all the gadgets to have installed. Perhaps he'll see this thread and advise. In the meantime, i'd suggest getting rid of Norton as it is pure sh1t.

Try this instead:
www.kaspersky.com

download free month trial and see if it nails the little SOB.
Also try (FREE):

Spybot -search and destroy
ad-aware SE

and this one (not free) but V good:
Spyware doctor

These programs might help, although these type of infections can be a pain to get rid of.
Old 27th March 2007, 02:43 PM

Mad, thanks for that, its not that I'm too adverse to paying for some decent protection, just don't wanna buy a pig in a poke!! will give the free trial a go, thanks again.
Old 27th March 2007, 04:27 PM

Wink

Partypooper, quite some time ago I had a similar problem. If I remember correctly (I know very little about computers) I did a Restore to a previous date, and that got rid of the problem.
Old 27th March 2007, 04:47 PM
Suspended.

Smile

OK Party, for starters... DON'T PANIC !!!

Sounds like you have a Trojan or active -X trying to sell you something.

You really do need to get rid of Norton's as it is the closest thing to a Trojan without being a Trojan that there is. To top it off they charge you money every year to use it. It is not an easy thing to remove either. In fact Nortons is a ************ to remove completely. Trojan and Active-X developers write programs specifically to get past Norton's [weak] defenses!

To remove Norton's go to: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic42247.html and follow instructions.

Before you remove Norton's download to your desktop [totally free forever] Comodo Firewall from: http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/ Now remove Nortons [disconnect from internet first] Make sure you do not install Comodo until you remove Norton's.

It's the firewall I now use and the only firewall in the world that passes all know leak tests. Its a bit technical as it goes into learning mode initially so it will ask for OK a lot when various programs are in use. Just keep clicking approve or OK a lot until it settles down. Just run it on recommend settings, not custom.

Also Download Comodo anti virus, it is also lifetime free and will scan your mail too: http://antivirus.comodo.com/ . Failing that I'd recommend Bit Defender anti-virus [goggle it] free edition.

Now all you need is Spyware Blaster [stops the rubbish before it gets on to your PC] at: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html and Ad Aware SE at: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html and the GENUINE Spybot search and destroy from :http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html When loading this program do not tick [enable] 'tea timer'.

Make sure you update the above lot and run Spybot and the Ad-Aware which should take care of the rubbish annoying you. Then run the anti-virus.

See how you go.

Last edited by crash : 27th March 2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 27th March 2007, 07:25 PM

Party,

Your computer has been hijacked by Spyware.

Remove Nortons as outlined.

Download a-squared personal free edition and run it (deep scan)
Reboot and run the scan again.
Don't forget to update it online before scanning.

Download adaware personal free edition and run it (deep scan)
Don't forget to update it online before scanning.

Download Spybot search and destroy
Run online update
Immunize your computer making sure browser helper is installed
Scan and remove malware.

This should get you to a useable point to install other protection.

a-squared is really excellent and I use it everyday to clean client's computers.
*RaceCensus now updated to 29/02/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 27th March 2007, 10:21 PM

Firstly, really REALLY, pleased of so many people trying to help. But I fear I made a fatal mistake downloading the Kaspersky thing, as my comp was actually totally usable b4 that , now I can get to the home page of anything including pro pun but the when I try to go any further, it crashes back to my screen saver so can't get anything on the net ??? sound familiar to anyone??
\

PS using the lap top now

Crash, thanks havent quite absorbed that yet, still working on it!! a- squared

Chrome, REALLY appreciate the help but waht does a squared thingo mean??

Last edited by partypooper : 27th March 2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: omission
Old 27th March 2007, 11:56 PM

Hi Party

If you haven't found a way send me an email and i may be able to help. I had a similar problem.

What are you running?

Cheers
ubetido
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways, BEER in one hand- PIZZA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO!