Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 5th July 2010, 09:22 PM

Smile download unitab horse data into excel spreadsheet - problem

Hi All, and specifically Kennedy 22384

I have been following with interest your conversations with regards to using an excel spreadsheet for obtaining racing data from the unitab site. I have the same situation. I was given 2 spreadsheets from a member of this forum also – (I think his name was Peter – don’t know his alias). I have the same spreadsheet that has been outlined, however that spreadsheet actually pertains to gathering historical data for form analysis and trend following. The spreadsheet I have attached (Tomorrow racing today) actually allows you to input the day’s racing date and the venue code (example: MR for Melbourne Races etc). It downloads all the detailed form for the venue you have nominated.

I have been using this spreadsheet, in concert with a spreadsheet I have created (2nd attachment) to analyse each horses current form and rate, sort and price them according to the rating figures derived from this analysis. I can rate a race in 1 minute.

Unfortunately, about 12 months ago, I upgraded to Microsoft Office 7 suite, and at the same time upgraded my PC. My PCs operating system is now Windows 7.

I thought this transition to office 7 and windows 7 was the reason for my spreadsheets not functioning. Maybe not.

Could you possibly have a look, in the first instance the first attached spreadsheet (tomorrow racing today) and see if you can get it to download the detailed form from the unitab site. Currently, the spreadsheet works in a limited way. It downloads the abbreviated form available but not the detailed form.(the spreadsheet should also be populated to the right of column ‘Z’ also). Obviously the ‘Get external Date’ functions are working, however it seems that there is some sort of limiting factor (maybe with the unitab site) that is precluding the detailed form to be downloaded in it’s entirety.

Normally, when this spreadsheet obtains all the detailed form, I minimise it and open my other spreadsheet (KwikPick Form Analysis). All I have to do then is input all the day and race data on the main page (including the race date), then go to the race I want to rate (hyperlinked to the relevant worksheet). Here I only need to input the following in the ‘red’ area: YYYY/MM/DD/XRXX for example: 2010/07/MR05 and press the ‘Get Data’ Button. All the form is then downloaded into this spreadsheet and assessed. I then press the ‘sort and Price the Selections’ button. The horses are sorted in highest rated order and priced accordingly. Too easy!

This aspect has an error in it also (I think it’s a syntax error. I maybe wrong). Can you see if you can fix this also. The macro that pulls the data from the ‘tomorrow racing today’ spreadsheet into each race sheet is called ‘Get Data’, attached to the button with the same name.
I will be very thankful if you can assist me in getting these spreadsheets functioning correctly.

Kind Regards.

gsdanger
Attached Files
File Type: xls Tomorrow Racing Today.xls (1.05 MB, 3337 views)
File Type: xls Kwikpick Form Analyser.xls (3.81 MB, 3385 views)
Old 6th July 2010, 03:28 PM

It may be that Unitab changed its forms page you can't access it with out an account.
Old 6th July 2010, 06:52 PM

Smile

Hi Crackone,

thanks for your response. I have had an account with unitab for 5 years and it is still active! No money in it, as I only used it to access the detailed form guides.

Thanks for your response, however, I still need assistance, especially with the first spreadsheet (tomorrow racing today) as I will probably be able to fix the 2nd one myself (I created this one)....

Kind Regards,

gsdanger.
Old 7th July 2010, 02:27 PM

For all my excel problems I go to mrexcel.com
Old 7th July 2010, 05:33 PM

Smile

Once again, thanks for your assistance Crackone.

I remember who supplied the first spreadsheet to me all those years ago. it was: OZDOC

OZDOC, if you read this thread please respond with some options.

Kennedy 22384, are you able to assist me with my problem? I really hope so, as I'm going down the punting gurgler without my ratings.

Kind Regards, and please assist, if you guys, or anyone else can.

gsdanger...
Old 1st August 2010, 06:51 PM

Unhappy Calling OZDOC - Help!!!!

download unitab horse data into excel spreadsheet - problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Evening OZDOC,

I have been having data download problems with the spreadsheet (Tomorrow racing today - 1st attachemnt). I received this spreadshet from you 5 or 6 years ago and have been using this spreadsheet, in concert with a spreadsheet I have created (2nd attachment) to analyse each horses current form and rate, sort and price them according to the rating figures derived from this analysis. I can rate a race in 1 minute. Works well.

Unfortunately, about 12 months ago, I upgraded to Microsoft Office 7 suite, and at the same time upgraded my PC. My PCs operating system is now Windows 7.

I thought this transition to office 7 and windows 7 was the reason for my spreadsheets not functioning. Maybe not. Might be that the unitab site might have been upgraded, or re-configured.

Obviously, you will be familiar with the workings of the first spreadsheet (originally yours), so could you possibly have a look, the attached spreadsheet (tomorrow racing today) and see if you can get it to download the detailed form from the unitab site. Currently, the spreadsheet works in a limited way. It downloads the abbreviated form available but not the detailed form.(the spreadsheet should also be populated to the right of column ‘Z’ also). Obviously the ‘Get external Date’ functions are working, however it seems that there is some sort of limiting factor (maybe with the unitab site) that is precluding the detailed form to be downloaded in it’s entirety.

Normally, when this spreadsheet obtains all the detailed form, I minimise it and open my other spreadsheet (KwikPick Form Analysis). All I have to do then is input all the day and race data on the main page (including the race date), then go to the race I want to rate (hyperlinked to the relevant worksheet). Here I only need to input the following in the ‘red’ area: YYYY/MM/DD/XRXX for example: 2010/07/MR05 and press the ‘Get Data’ Button. All the form is then downloaded into this spreadsheet and assessed. I then press the ‘sort and Price the Selections’ button. The horses are sorted in highest rated order and priced accordingly.

I will be very greatful if you can assist me in getting this spreadsheet functioning correctly. Without it, I'm struggling to find an alternative web site to download appropriate data from, and am slowly dying on the punting vine. Please Help.....

Kind Regards.

gsdanger
Attached Files Tomorrow Racing Today.xls (1.05 MB, 41 views)
Old 10th November 2010, 09:53 PM

i am so sorry i havent seen this message but lemme take a look at the files and see what can be done
Old 10th November 2010, 10:14 PM

The issue here is two things,

one, if you are not a member of unitab, you only get the last 3 tab starts which is not accurate and two, unitab has redone the website which has made it kinda unfriendly for web data grab.

I will try to find an alternative website to go and use but im not sure if i can pull it off
Old 11th November 2010, 01:28 AM

Try the ACT tab site site might be better.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 11th November 2010, 01:30 PM

Ok, i think i fixed it up. I had to alter a few bits, for one the form doesnt come from unitab but the fields do.

All you need to do is open it up and go to macros and select RunAll and press run.

It will go through every horse race in australia on the day and spew out the sheets one by one.

Move all the result sheets (unitab codes) to another workbook after you are finished. Do not run it with all the sheets still in the workbook.

I built this on office for mac 2011. Im not sure if it works with windows so please test
Attached Files
File Type: xls Kwikpix Redux.xls (728.5 KB, 2527 views)