Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 23rd January 2009, 10:54 PM

Default 2 dumb comp questions!

First, using works (that's WORKS not word) when working on a spreadsheet control E, takes me to the last line of the doc, what I want to know (cos I forgot) what takes me back to line 1?

second, I have an old comp that used to work great with windows 98, but then my son loaded XP, it took it but only just, then we had a problem and it only works in safe mode. QUESTION: I want to wipe it clean and re-load it with windows 98 which will suffice for what I want, easy way to do it? (nb. there's nothing else on there that I need)

simple steps please if anyone can be bothered.

Last edited by partypooper : 23rd January 2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 24th January 2009, 10:03 AM
Banned

Hi Party, never used Works but i found a list of shortcuts here -

http://www.rverscomputerhelp.com/shortcuts.html

looks like 'control+home' is what your looking for

re reinstalling windows 98, first back up all your files etc to an external source such as cd/dvd/external hard drive, take note of all your internet & email account settings & passwords, & any other info you deem important - then

Partition the Hard Disk

# Insert the Windows 98 Startup disk in the floppy disk drive, and then restart your computer.

# When the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed, choose the Start computer without CD-ROM support option, and then press ENTER.

# At a command prompt, type fdisk, and then press ENTER.
Do you wish to enable large disk support (Y/N), select Y

# After you press ENTER, the Fdisk Options menu is displayed. Press 1 to select the Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive option, and then press ENTER.

# Press 1 to select the Create Primary DOS Partition option, and then press ENTER.

# After you press ENTER, you receive the following prompt:
Do you wish to use the maximum available size for primary DOS partition?
press Y, and then press ENTER.

# After you create the partitions, restart you computer with the Windows 98 Startup disk in the floppy disk drive.

# When the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed, choose the Start computer without CD-ROM support option, and then press ENTER.

# When a command prompt is displayed, type format c:, and then press ENTER.

# When you successfully run the Format.com utility, you receive the following prompt:
WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with Format (Y/N)?
Press Y, and then press ENTER to format drive C.

# After the format procedure is finished, you receive the following prompt:
Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)?
This is an optional feature that you can use to type a name for the hard disk. Type an 11-character name for the drive, or leave it blank, and then press ENTER.

How to Install Windows 98

# Insert the Windows 98 Startup disk in the floppy disk drive, and then restart your computer.

# When the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed, choose the Start computer with CD-ROM support option, and then press ENTER.

# Insert the Windows 98 CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER
X:\setup
where X is the drive letter that is assigned to your CD-ROM drive. This will most likely be D:\setup.

# When you receive the following message, press ENTER, and then follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Setup procedure:
Please wait while the Setup initializes. Setup is now going to perform a routine check on your system. To continue press Enter.

Hope this helps Party, its a bit of stuffing around but you previously mentioned that there were 2 partitions on your hard drive, so following the above will delete those & create a single partition, which is all you need.

Also if you have a printer or scanner or other peripherals etc you will need to reinstall the software for these after Windows is reinstalled.

I check my email most mornings if you need any further assistance.

cheers
stugs

Last edited by stugots : 24th January 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 24th January 2009, 11:55 AM

looks like 'control+home' is what your looking for

That's it, thanks stugots! RE: Windows 98, I'm a bit embarrassed as to the length of time you spent on that reply as I didn't emphasise that I was talking about an old computer that I'm passing on to the nephews and neices not the one I'm using now. But I guess most of that procedure is the same yes?
Old 24th January 2009, 02:36 PM
Banned

party, it took all of 5 min cutting & pasting from Microsoft's website, so was no bother, & must admit i rather enjoyed the bit of a trip down memory lane...

but yes, the procedure would be the same regardless