Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 19th November 2015, 06:01 PM

Arrow Jockeys want deferment on new whip rules

Source AAP

Jockeys from around the country have called on Racing Australia to defer the introduction of new whip rules.

Meetings were held at 21 racetracks around Australia on Saturday over new rules that are due to come into force on December 1.

The new rules mean jockeys cannot use the whip in a forehand or backhand manner more than five times before the 100m mark.

Previously jockeys could use the whip in a backhand manner, provided they were not excessive in its use.

Riders can still use the whip at their discretion in the final 100m.

Queensland Jockeys' Association President Glen Prentice told a meeting at Doomben on Saturday that RA had gone ahead with a December 1 implementation without consulting the 22 national associations involving trainers, owners and breeders.

Brisbane jockeys voted unanimously for RA to defer the proposed start date until concerns were addressed.

They also called on RA to explain why there needed to be a change and they thought RA had failed to engage in meaningful consultation about the new laws.

Jockeys asked that RA establish a working party.

Victorian Jockeys' Association chief executive officer Des O'Keeffe said feedback the meetings would be sent to RA.

"We will collate the responses from about 400 participants at those meetings, provide them to Racing Australia and then await their response," O'Keeffe said.

The meetings also heard concerns about jockeys' new helmets that are to be introduced.
Old 27th November 2015, 08:32 AM

Going ahead as planned according to Racing Australia
Old 27th November 2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands
Going ahead as planned according to Racing Australia

Will be watching Damien Oliver rides with an extra interest. Oliver has made it very public where he stands on the issue.
Old 28th November 2015, 09:16 AM

I actually think if they banned the whip altogether and let the jockeys use their own skill to get the best from the horse this would be a better option, although i do see with 2 yr that the whip can be used to control their actions, i wonder if they didn't use whips we would see more interference.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 29th November 2015, 12:28 AM

I know the WA Jockeys' Association isn't happy with the new rules. Next Saturday's Ascot stewards report might be an interesting read. Already a lot of pressure for the WA riders over the Carnival period. More black-type races to come on Saturday.
Old 1st December 2015, 07:11 PM

Kilmore today

"Articulate Man (NZ) - rider Dale Smith stated the gelding, which was having its first race start today, did not respond to his riding in the middle stages and the early part of the straight, and as he was only able to use his whip on five occasions prior to the 100m, he felt this was detrimental to the horses performance. Stewards noted his explanation."
Old 1st December 2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino82
Kilmore today

"Articulate Man (NZ) - rider Dale Smith stated the gelding, which was having its first race start today, did not respond to his riding in the middle stages and the early part of the straight, and as he was only able to use his whip on five occasions prior to the 100m, he felt this was detrimental to the horses performance. Stewards noted his explanation."
Putting objective numbers to subjective situations is insane.
I can't imagine any sane person would come up with this system.
Some horses need urging at certain times and a number of times others not at all.
How in the name of God can you arbitrarily assign a number of strokes needed or allowed at designated distances is beyond me.
Old 2nd December 2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino82
Kilmore today

And Tuncurry same day

"R6 Antonaire- G. Buckley was reprimanded (AR 137A (5) (a) (ii)) for using the whip on the gelding on more than five occasions (7) before the 100m.

R8 Interest Free- Began awkwardly losing ground (2L). G. Coleman was reprimanded (AR137A (5) (a) (ii)) for using the whip on the gelding on more than five occasions (10) before the 100m. In assessing penalty stewards took into account this was the first occasion in which G. Coleman had offended under this rule in the past five years."
Old 2nd December 2015, 11:43 PM

Unhappy

Perhaps I'm in the minority.
I do believe that a whip should be used in the case of straightening up the mount or in the case of rider safety. (e.g. a rider had his leg crushed on the running rail prior to the new rails that were introduced).
The rule of no more than five times prior to the 100m mark is open ended and needs to be modified.
A jockey could whip the horse when it has no chance whatsoever.
It could also mean a horse is whipped five times in 200m at the start of a race. Crazy and cruel.

Jockeys are still free to whip every other stride within the 100m mark.
Acceptable? Perhaps.
Whatever happened to the masters of hands and heels?

He must be joking, the horse finished 10.95L behind the winner, prior to this had trialled twice at Cranbourne finishing 7th of 8 and 5th of 6.
The horse has either joint or lower hoof problems because he's worn concussion plates on soft ground. Normally these are worn from jarring up on firmer ground. In a nutshell, the horse has issues, no wonder he did not respond in the middle and early part of the straight. I believe the horse was in pain, to whip the horse would have been inhumane in this situation.

Antonaire- G. Buckley was reprimanded (AR 137A (5) (a) (ii)) for using the whip on the gelding on more than five occasions (7) before the 100m.

Finished 6th of 11, but only 1.7L from the winner. Excessive use of the whip did not result in a win and it was a blanket finish, so the pace must have been a cracker. The horse was 8th@800m and 10th@400m and jumping up in class. Question remains for me, whipping the horse 7 times when horses were all making the same headway and running over the top of him, is this justified?

Interest Free- Began awkwardly losing ground (2L). G. Coleman was reprimanded (AR137A (5) (a) (ii)) for using the whip on the gelding on more than five occasions (10) before the 100m. In assessing penalty stewards took into account this was the first occasion in which G. Coleman had offended under this rule in the past five years

10 occasions over 1300m, that's possibly once every 130m but probably much much worse.
Horse has only won once in 42 starts. Despite the heavy use of the whip, horse finished 14th of 14 10.9L.

This is where I personally draw the line in these instances, if a horse is losing ground, not up to the speed, being run past, or simply outclassed, why whip a horse trying it's best, especially when battling issues. It just doesn't cut it.
*RaceCensus now updated to 29/02/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 3rd December 2015, 02:38 AM

Fantastic Chrome, you have a far better insight to this than some jockeys perhaps, i do agree with your comments my only thoughts are that it is easier to look at the situation after the fact, i guess some jockeys having more experience will make it easier for them to judge what best to do at the time.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee