Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 7th February 2014, 04:02 AM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat123
Haven't seen any arbs today though.. pretty weird.

It was a weird day. Every morning one of my routines is to look at every race from yesterday and look at the "spread" of fluctuations for every horse. By 'spread', I mean the space between Open fluc and final Fixed price. Students of my methods know, that there is a lot of information revealed in the DNA of fluctuations. Yesterday was unusual in that the spreads across the board were very tight both horizontally (Open to Fixed) and vertically (Open prices of 1st 5 or 6 favourites). Not sure why it occurs, but my guess is that the bookies are unsure on the winning prospects of the first half dozen horses and are keeping the prices tight in all directions, hence why there wasn't too many Arb opportunities.

What do you do on days like that? If I was a Backer, I'd be looking at the exotics, boxing those clusters for a trifecta. As a Layer, Laying the 2nd group of tailenders. From the screenshot below, this was a pretty common scenario yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Geelong 6.JPG
Views: 535
Size:  65.5 KB  
Old 8th February 2014, 02:21 PM

Thumbs down

Astonishing!!!

Dear XXX,

At Betfair you always get the best possible products and services. To ensure you continue to get a premium experience, we are increasing the base commission rate on Betfair Exchange markets in your country to 6.5% from January 30th.

You can of course continue to earn significant discounts of up to 60% on this commission rate through the Betfair points system. A full explanation of how your commission is calculated can be found at Betfair Learning.

This rate increase does not apply to any promotional markets with a fixed commission rate.

Thank you for your continued business and good luck with your future betting at Betfair.

Yours sincerely,

Betfair Customer Service

Note this is aside from any levy or premium charge.

Here's a quote from the Betfair forum....

i read betfair on twitter yesterday, when asked about how this might affect liquidity, they tweeted that do not expect the increases to affect liquidity.

*RaceCensus now updated to 29/02/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 8th February 2014, 04:09 PM

Its not in the UK. Its the same as when AUS went up. Its just some smaller countries.

Mind you in 6 months the UK will go to 6.5% too.
Old 9th February 2014, 06:15 AM

It would appear broke, gentlemen. Someone's boat got floated but it wasn't the client's. If it is increasingly non profitable to do your business on the lay side and there is a further 6m stretch of leaks and creaks in the timbers to come, why not short the ship?

Might be a whole lot more pleasurable.

LG
Old 9th February 2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Greystoke
It would appear broke, gentlemen. Someone's boat got floated but it wasn't the client's. If it is increasingly non profitable to do your business on the lay side and there is a further 6m stretch of leaks and creaks in the timbers to come, why not short the ship?

Might be a whole lot more pleasurable.

LG

The ultimate lay bet!

― Earl Nightingale