Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 3rd September 2002, 06:23 PM

hi every1, i have been casually betting for 2 years now and i dont have a system but i really would like someone to help me with one. thanks

by the way you might need to explain in detail because i dont have much of a clue :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: quapi on 2002-10-15 16:02 ]
Old 3rd September 2002, 09:13 PM

If you haven't learnt much in 2 years, might be best to not punt or only bet small.

If you want a simple system try this-

1 Odds of 10/1
2 placed in one of past two starts
3 Won at track and distance

Old 4th September 2002, 12:53 AM

hey, i have learnt something over the last 2 years and i do punt pretty small like 5 dollars a race. its just i would like to use a system that i can put into place and i need some help with starting it off
Old 5th September 2002, 10:02 AM
Banned

im not a system person but 1 you might try is .gp and special cond races.minimum of 10 horses.no 2y0. top 4 win pc minimum price 5 dollars.
Old 5th September 2002, 10:39 AM

I'm a systems person. Prior to that I did like most punters - took a guess. If you hunt around this forum you will find a wealth of ideas for constructing your own system. My advice for what its worth is to work like this:

*Find a method - any method - that yields a profit over 200 past races.
*Test it on paper on live races - without betting - for 100 races.
*If you're still in front test it on 100 live races with small 1 unit bets.
*If you're still in front raise the bet to 2 units for another 100 races.
*After that keep raising the stake as long as you keep winning, reassessing every 100 races.

I've tested lots of systems now. Very few of them yield long term profit - its much harder than it looks - but its still better than taking a guess.

I also advise having a couple of systems running concurrently. Every system has its bad days. Run several quite different systems; if one goes bad the other might shine. Three systems of $2 bets is better than one with $6 bets - its a matter of not putting all eggs in one basket.

Other points:

*There are many free or cheap ratings around such as the QTAB ratings or the Zip ratings in the Sportsman. These are calculated by knowledgable people with big computers. I find them very useful elements to add to punting systems. Unless you can keep up with the form of every horse in a race, why not use the ratings provided by people who do?

*Systems that involve a market element are inherently more succesful than set-and-forget systems. Its hard to win without being involved.

*Its best to develop your own unique system. Find your own corner of the market and milk it. If you do what everyone else does you'll lose unless you do it better than everyone else.

Hope this helps in some way. My thoughts...

Hermes
Old 5th September 2002, 11:06 AM

A common problem that most new punters have is that they bet more money, the shorter the price of their selection! They seem to feel that if a horse is a shorter price, it has a greater chance of winning. This is not always true.

I have been investigating for some time betting to price. In other words 5/1 bet 5 units 20/1 bet 20 units.

Sound strange?

I can tell you that providing your selection method is sound with quality horses, the greater th price you are able to get on a runner, the greater value it represents!

Therefore you are maximising the returns on the overlays. Stunning results in my trial so far. Turned a level stakes profit of around 150% into the thousands of %.

Well worth investigation, but I stress the selections must be sound.
Old 6th September 2002, 11:07 AM
Banned

design your method over 200 races.test your method over 2 lots of 100 races .if the 2lots differ marketdly in terms of strike rate and profit on turnover go back to the drawing board. 400 bets should keep you occupied.if you come up with anything let me know. a tip .base your system on class weight ratings.my very best to you.