Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 29th December 2019, 05:07 AM

Arrow 2020 Summer Olympics

The 2020 Summer Olympics will take place in Tokyo, Japan, from 24 July to 9 August 2020.

These Games will see the introduction of new and additional competitions at the Summer Olympics, including 3x3 basketball, freestyle BMX and Madison cycling, as well as further mixed events. Under new IOC policies that allow the host organizing committee to add sports to the Olympic programme to augment the permanent "core" Olympic events, these Games will see karate, sport climbing, surfing and skateboarding make their Olympic debuts. There will also be the return of baseball and softball, both removed from the summer programme after 2008.
Old 10th February 2020, 03:52 AM

Wink

Expecting New Zealand to send its largest team ever
See the schedule at https://tokyo2020.org/en/games/schedule/olympic/
Old 17th February 2020, 05:54 AM

Default Adding New Sports in 2020 and 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands
The 2020 Summer Olympics will take place in Tokyo, Japan, from 24 July to 9 August 2020.

These Games will see the introduction of new and additional competitions at the Summer Olympics, including 3x3 basketball, freestyle BMX and Madison cycling, as well as further mixed events. Under new IOC policies that allow the host organizing committee to add sports to the Olympic programme to augment the permanent "core" Olympic events, these Games will see karate, sport climbing, surfing and skateboarding make their Olympic debuts. There will also be the return of baseball and softball, both removed from the summer programme after 2008.

For 2020, the IOC had a great idea (Olympic Agenda 2020). The organizers could add new recognized sports as long as they didn’t go more than 500 athletes over the 10,500-athlete limit. Tokyo 2020 added 474 for surfing, skateboarding, sports climbing, karate, baseball and softball. Then, the IOC messed up a good thing by saying that for Paris 2024, there would be a firm 10,500 athlete limit, so the same number of athletes added for new sports had to equal athletes dropped from core sports. Paris 2024 decided not to offer baseball, softball and karate (too many athletes to drop from core sports). They will again add surfing, skateboarding and sport climbing as in 2020 (216 athletes). Get this: Paris 2024 will also add Break Dancing (32 athletes). I think France will go down in the Metro Underground and pick street performers. They might just win. So, practice break dancing and you could be on your team.
Old 17th February 2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystef5845
Get this: Paris 2024 will also add Break Dancing (32 athletes). I think France will go down in the Metro Underground and pick street performers. They might just win. So, practice break dancing and you could be on your team.

thought you were joking Ray, but you're not
wonder if Los Angeles 2028 will introduce something different again
don't think baseball's on the agenda for Paris 2024, good chance that will return
Old 17th February 2020, 05:01 PM

Default 2020, 2024 and 2028 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop
thought you were joking Ray, but you're not
wonder if Los Angeles 2028 will introduce something different again
don't think baseball's on the agenda for Paris 2024, good chance that will return

No, I'm not kidding, but the truth is definitely stranger than fiction (and funnier too). Also, I have been keeping LA 2028 advised on options.

Let's go by the numbers so everyone understands.

Tokyo 2020 has been approved to add 474 athletes in new sports to the 10,500 total of athletes in continuing sports: Surfing (40), Skateboarding (80), Sport Climbing (40), Karate (80), and both Baseball and Softball (234 total).

Paris 2024 has been approved to add 248 athletes in new sports and drop 248 from continuing sports: Surfing (48), Skateboarding (96), Sport Climbing (72) and Break Dancing (32).

LA 2028 will inherit the Paris 2024 numbers to start, so there in room for 248 athletes in "new sports" without making any other changes. I believe they will continue Surfing, Skateboarding and Sport Climbing for the third straight Olympics. I have suggested dropping Break Dancing for Stand-Up-Paddle-Boarding which is really popular in California and elsewhere. To add baseball and softball would require them to drop about 234 athletes from the other continuing sports. There will be a lot of pressure to do just that, but it will be hard for them to decide which current quotas to change.

Here is some drama to come. Beijing is to host the 2022 Winter Olympics in the land of coronavirus. Let's hope it's gone by then.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands

..the rescheduled start date (23 July 2021) is starting to looking dim..may be cancelled altogether..due to the current virus surge in Japan (& other countries)
Old 15th April 2021, 06:24 AM

Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 due to start on 23 July 2021 but International spectators will not be allowed to attend
Old 28th May 2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
..the rescheduled start date (23 July 2021) is starting to looking dim..may be cancelled altogether..due to the current virus surge in Japan (& other countries)

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) insists the games will go ahead, even though Tokyo is currently in a state of emergency
Old 29th May 2021, 03:39 AM

Default The Tokyo Olympics

My heart goes out to athletes with their once-in-a-lifetime chance to be in the Olympics about to be shattered. I knew a number of US Olympians who were devastated when the US boycotted the 1980 Olympics. That made some politicians puff up their chests and feel important but they never thought about the athletes who were just pawns in their egotistical chess match.

Only 2% of the Japanese people have gotten vaccinated. I don’t think they should get a say on cancelling. Of course, there is an outbreak while many of the world sports are allowing spectators in more pro-active countries. If the athletes can stay in a “bubble” and compete safely (big if), I say do it. The world can at least see them on TV and if they get their medals in a virtual ceremony, I’ll be watching, no matter who wins.
Old 9th August 2021, 07:38 AM

Was certainly worth the watch, great effort all!