Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 4th July 2012, 06:50 AM

Default The Paretto Principle

I mentioned in a new thread I started about compiling a ratings system about the Paretto Principal.

Now, I wont bore you because I am sure that everybody knows about it. But briefly this Mr Paretto an Italian mathamatician came up with the theory that 20% of what we do accounts for 80% of our outcomes. Convewrsley it applies also. 80% of what we do only produces 20% of our otcomes or results.

Now, here is my thought. Because so many on here are trying to add one more filter to a system for the Holy Grail what if we did the opposite?

Let's get back to the basics and not overcomplicate things.

If Mr paretto was a race horse punter I wonder what he would consider important in his 20% and what he would put in his 80%.

I could go on but will see if anybody else wants to follow along and add to this little idea. As always these things are not to be taken to seriously but often when discussing things like this little gems or ideas might show up.

Star
Old 4th July 2012, 12:00 PM

There was a brilliant thread on here just soncentrating on the Pareto Principle. I suggest you go and search it andread it. 40 to 50 pages I seem to recollect.
Old 4th July 2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny
There was a brilliant thread on here just concentrating on the Pareto Principle. I suggest you go and search it andread it. 40 to 50 pages I seem to recollect.
Ah thanks Barny.

40 to 50 pages, looks like my thoughts are not so scrambled. Be interesting to see what genius started that thread and to check who replied. May have underestimated a few on here and some personal apoligies may be in order. lol

Star
Old 4th July 2012, 01:54 PM

There's a lot of information, and a lot of posters contributed. I think the poster was Privateer. He had 7 rules in the 20% category from memory and his No. 1 was Fitness. HJis other 20% rules included Pre-post Price, Ave Prizemoney ..... He researched over a couple of years using hard copies of form guides, and trial information (not sure where he got this from).

It was interesting to see what he included in the 80% ..... some very well known filters.

If you do find the thread it'll keep you busy and out of trouble for a while.

It's a good read .....
Old 4th July 2012, 02:07 PM

Actually, now I think about this, and my recent experiences with my database, the more it makes sense. I've no doubt, as I've said before, there's a fine line, but there's certainly situations that pop up regularly time after time.

Until I got my database I was wary of class related filters, but I'm a convert now, as they do group horses that have a good Win S/R, probably the best filters I've got are class related filters. The "Pareto" thread is very strong on a class filter. I summarised the "Pareto" thread into a system, I might have to revisit it.

I recall his POT was around 25%, so nothing outrageous, and plenty of back up logic to support his findings.
Old 4th July 2012, 02:14 PM

Here's my take on the thread and my assumptions of the 20%

Pre-Post - Fitness - Ave Prizemoney - LS finish - Top 7 Saddlecloth - Place S/R > 60% - Horses backing up within 7 days

He said he had 9 criteria .....

Privateer back 'em 1 Win 3 Place and NEVER bets on a wet track.

Go crazy dudes !!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 4th July 2012, 02:40 PM
Banned

Smile

The most obvious one is horse must be a on pace runner in the majority of its races (1st - 6th on the home turn )
Old 4th July 2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkydog2002
The most obvious one is horse must be a on pace runner in the majority of its races (1st - 6th on the home turn )

Sorry darkydog2002, but a direct quote from Privateers thread

"FWIW, I do not factor the pace of a race into any method that I apply to punting"
Old 4th July 2012, 03:08 PM
Banned

Sorry but I thought you wanted what was vital.
Or just what Privateer thought was important.
Cheers
Old 4th July 2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkydog2002
Sorry but I thought you wanted what was vital.
Or just what Privateer thought was important.
Cheers

Yeah, you're dead right. I was quoting as if this was Privateers thread.