Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 4th July 2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evajb001
I sometimes wonder if this is a project I should attack. I've done web coding before and can generally adapt code if there is an example to work off which it seems there are plenty as you've evidenced shaun. However its just so easy to manipulate and calculate things in excel that I'm just so used to it now.

Of more use to me I think would be a betting bot that does everything I need rather than web scraping and building a database etc. I know there are plenty of bots around but not many of them appear to be simple or quite do what I'm after or they charge monthly fees that I just couldn't justify at the moment.

BBP was a solid bot until the API changed and they never did anything with it and the admins/creators essentially did a runner.

What i have found is if i try to import large amounts of data excel just crashes, in the past when i have tried to back test my ratings if i don't restart my macros after importing about 3 days work it crashes, yes excel can do imports but i doubt it was ever really designed for webscraping, plus it is slow, extremely slow, there are packages in python that will interact with excel but i am going to try to avoid them, i still have Gruss for connection to betfair and i can access vic tab using python even with out there api access, there are ways around everything, it's just a matter of searching the net to find what you need.

Like what i have said above is i am not trying to recreate the wheel or even learn how to build one but more just learning how to manipulate the code that is already out there, i can learn more as time goes on.
--moeee
Old 4th July 2018, 01:01 PM

Yeh what i've done with my data is run the excel ratings for a race, paste the data across to a different spreadsheet and that builds my database. Issue i've found it that once you get to about 12,000 rows of data and a 100mb excel file size it does get incredibly slow to work with.

I probably should look at coding and database resources to properly record, store and review racing data but I guess at this point in time its just not high on my priority list. Working full time and still trying to find angles to be profitable take up enough time without learning a new language as well.

I definitely applaud anyone that takes the time to learn something completely foreign that has the potential to save them significant time in the future. Will be interested to follow your progress if you post updates about it.
Old 4th July 2018, 01:41 PM

I've read the replies since my last post, all noted.

However, if we are going to get anywhere in this "class-room", I think we all need to be in sync, and an agreed version/s of everything, and other downloads.

The other thing to stay focused at this point, is ( I don't know about others ) to adapt the web query VBA currently does to .py before VBA is no longer able to due to inevitable changes from html to whatever by tatts and others.
That's the "race", for an easy working adaption when the time comes.

The first project in my case is to at least get that race list sample I've posted earlier in time order, into excel worksheet ( web query and import 1 ), then use the time order daily race list to scan the next race,
( web query import 2) and finally
Results query after the race has run, Interim or Paying, choice by code "If Interim, Then..." or "If Paying, Then...")
Which I already have that logic currently working anyway, in VBA.
The logic is how does the process "know" the race has finished ?

Web query 3 is a Loop.
Web query 2 is a Loop also, but ya start at the Results first, get that working, and work backwards.
Web query 1 needs only to happen once, or if there are major race time changes that messes up everything else.

Auto-bet systems, there is more to the logic than one thinks there is.

As far as selections system, that is already there, I need not find any more "better" selection systems, have enough via web query 2, prices and price updates.

We also may need something that telsl the system how many minutes before the race starts, this is important, because this variable value activates the bet sender.
Old 4th July 2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evajb001
Yeh what i've done with my data is run the excel ratings for a race, paste the data across to a different spreadsheet and that builds my database. Issue i've found it that once you get to about 12,000 rows of data and a 100mb excel file size it does get incredibly slow to work with.

I probably should look at coding and database resources to properly record, store and review racing data but I guess at this point in time its just not high on my priority list. Working full time and still trying to find angles to be profitable take up enough time without learning a new language as well.

I definitely applaud anyone that takes the time to learn something completely foreign that has the potential to save them significant time in the future. Will be interested to follow your progress if you post updates about it.

I have always been one to share the things i learn, when i have a working model will make a new post about it, my earlier post is definitely a starting point.
--moeee
Old 4th July 2018, 03:52 PM

What I've found works best, is to run your data into Excel and then import it into a custom database. Excel becomes very slow holding large amounts of data and running macros or vba at the same time.

If anyone needs a programmer quite cheap, I can create a custom database in Filemaker Pro which will import your data from Excel and you can perform queries very quickly and is very user friendly, much more so than MS Access.
*RaceCensus now updated to 30/06/2018
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 7th July 2018, 03:05 PM

I'm at the ANACONDA method/s. I think it has all packages mentioned here, trialing a few things in spare time.

pip sos far would not install, working on it, but do have Bsoup sorted, using ANACONDA terminal.

From here

https://conda.io/docs/user-guide/install/download.html