Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 6th May 2002, 08:35 PM

Personally i found place betting might be the safest and profitable means of betting
on horses, because there is no certainty in
any form of gambling ,why not give yourself
more chances than just one and lose in the long run.i know most of you think is not worth the hassle on 1.70,1.80 or even 2.00
but do you realise over the period of time
you can build up more and more cash if you have a positive approach and discipine.
and its not that hard to pick places if you
do a bit of study.
any comments?
regard
Old 6th May 2002, 10:01 PM

Agree totally. I have been developing my own system over the past 6-12 months. I have race screening criteria:
1. only bet in fields between 8 and 10 runners
2. Must have exposed form (greater than 2 runs this prep) which generally means 1400m+.
3. Never bet on 2yo, or jumps.
This narrows my race betting options down to one or two each Saturday. I then apply a rating system which takes into account track and distance form, hoop, strike rate, weight, ave prizemoney, barrier, runs this campaign.......
I produce a rating which I convert to a percentage. If the delta between the first and second rated horse is 10% or more then that is my selection. At the moment I am averaging one bet every week. Last Saturday it was Self Interest which ran third and paid $1.60. I have only been keeping records for the past 3 months, but in that time have had 11 bets for 10 collects. I wouldn't say I have 'cracked it' but I am going ok. Now need to refine my staking plan so any help here would be great.
Old 7th May 2002, 07:08 AM
Banned

Have you ever tried reinvesting your winnings? It's like compound interest on speed.

Example, my day yesterday.

Post $1.50
Tell Someone $1.70
Yell $1.10

Level stakes betting returns 43 units on turnover of 30 units, profit 43%.

However, have three goes at getting three in a row.

10 units - $1.50*$1.70*$1.10 = 28 units or 280%

Made that look good didn't I!

Downside, 1 miss and you're out, but surely a placegetter can pick three in a row some of the time? If not, save your money, paper trade for another ten years.

Good luck.

Old 8th May 2002, 08:30 PM

Placegetter, your system seems fine on maximizing returns, however if you have to wait for an all-up situation to occur, I would think that backing for a win would be just as fruitful and occur more regularly.
Old 8th May 2002, 08:34 PM
Banned

Who waits for all ups?
Old 9th May 2002, 11:57 AM

Soooo glad to see other place punters out there. Everyone to their own... but the stress free surety of place betting won me over a long time ago and I've never looked back.
Good to see your posts
shy :smile:
Old 9th May 2002, 10:19 PM

Placegetter, its a good point, but when I am only averaging one bet per week the logistics of all up betting just don't work. How many bets do you average on a Saturday?

Moral
Old 10th May 2002, 08:22 PM
Banned

Moral,

I average maybe three bets a weekend. I had six once and felt guilty. Five came in though, so what can I say?

If you have one bet a week, or 42 bets a week (apparently this is possible), the staking plan still applies. Worse though, you must exercise patience. Greed is not good.

So in my previous post, just pretend my bets were a week apart. First week, 10 units on Post returns 15. Next week, 15 units on Tell Someone returns 25.5. Third week, 25 units on Yell returns 27.5.

This is not all up betting by the way, clarify that once and for all. It gives you the choice to decide if something is "value" (insert your own definition). Also, it gives you the choice to bet across meetings, which a standard all-up will not.

The big question is when to stop. Three in a row is good, but seven in a row.........how confident are you?

And it comes back to my point in another topic, each bet you are getting the winnings into your hand (or account), are you brave enough to then drop it all on the next selection? There's a mindset there and an answer which it would be best for you to locate for yourself. Let me know if you have it.

Good luck tomorrow everyone.

Placegetter

PS. Moral, I would suggest you stake two banks. In my opinon, one selection per week is not enough to keep you interested long term. Make it your meat and potatoes and have 10% of available funds somewhere else for what I call "heart" bets.
Old 11th May 2002, 09:47 AM

its better to make and build your bank
slowly then lose in the long run , so stick
to place betting.i could easily pick 4 to 5
places on the all up , then picking a win.
sometimes i could profit close to $1000 just
putting $20 on place all up.
regard!
Old 11th May 2002, 02:17 PM
Banned

Good point mpunting,

Just to put that return into a dividend example, you would only be looking at place dividends of say $2.50, $2.00, $1.90, $2.20 and $2.40 to get the 50/1 over 5 bets.

As you can see, you are not betting on roughies, most would run at around 7/1 to 12/1.

It's getting the five in a row.......

Maybe go for three to start with, on the above example that is still $9.50 for every dollar.

Good luck.