Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 22nd May 2002, 03:33 PM

Why do people buy racing systems for 000's???

How stupid can you get?????

I'm amazed how many idiots buy these things???

Do these people also buy systems that predict lotto?????

Horse racing is gambling - anyone who says its investing is kidding themselves.

People should read "Secrets of Professional Turf Betting" by Robert Bacon. He talks about horse racing cycles - the cycles are ever changing, which the public fails to get.

Victor Neidlehoffer also talks about it in his book on speculation.

If a system works for any period of time, once enough people start using it the odds will be insufficient for profits. More likely though is that it will only work in small patches.

One thing Bacon said was "Only bet when you have an edge" - One can only have an edge on few occasions - so if you want to lose less -bet less. Betting on more than 20 races/week will send you broke, unless you are playing trifectas or first fours and getting a few good divs.

Old 22nd May 2002, 04:58 PM
Banned

I bought a system many years ago because it helped give structure. If that is stupid, then guilty as charged. I also feel stupid about the money it has helped me win....and my own system it has motivated me to develop.

I believe a person becomes semi-serious about punting the day they buy a system and serious the day they develop their own.

Placegetter
Old 22nd May 2002, 07:06 PM

Placegetter - have to agree that you have to develop your own system to be serious/successful - of course you can go straight to this without buying one first.

GunPunter - agree that you would have to be gullible to pay for a system expecting it to make you rich - although many of the people who buy them probably don't understand anything about betting so don't realise their own betting affects the odds. Of course there is nothing wrong with buying books/systems in order to improve your own knowledge.

I do believe that it is possible however to develop a system that returns consistant profits in the long run - BUT you must do it yourself and for obvious reasons not share/sell it.

Quote:
Betting on more than 20 races/week will send you broke, unless you are playing trifectas or first fours and getting a few good divs.

I have to disagree with this comment - it depends on your system and how often it shows up bets with "an edge". Equine Investors system (discussed elsewhere) would probably give 50-100 bets a week and he is making a profit. My system regularly turns up between 10 and 40 bets on my betting days (not every day of week) and it also gives a good return.
Old 23rd May 2002, 12:42 AM

gun punter -

Food for thought...

1/ If you gamble, treat it as a game you will lose in the end.

2/ If you invest in horseracing treat it as a business.

3/ If you don't have a structure or a system, the odds will get you in the end - ALWAYS.

4/ The number of bets you have per day, week, month or year should have no reflection on whether you win or lose providing your strike rate/dividend ratio is consistent.

5/The greater the number of races your system is trialled over, the greater the chance it will succeed in the future. Providing your selection criteria is sound.

6/It does not matter who you tell your system to and if it works never charge for it..if it makes a profit you don't need to charge for it, there is always some bookmaker willing to give you decent odds if your turnover is sufficient.
Old 23rd May 2002, 03:47 PM

i WAS TALKING ABOUT SHONKS WHO SELL SYSTEMS FOR $5,000 OR MORE THAT DON'T WORK ...

Not about developing your own method or system for picking horses.

[ This Message was edited by: quapi on 2002-05-23 20:03 ]
Old 23rd May 2002, 05:30 PM

Don't worry about it Gun Punter. A lot of us did know what you meant mate. Think of it as akin to somebody who likes the sound of their own voice!

Privateer
Old 27th May 2002, 12:46 AM

Quote:
On 2002-05-22 16:33, gun punter wrote:
Horse racing is gambling - anyone who says its investing is kidding themselves.

If a system works for any period of time, once enough people start using it the odds will be insufficient for profits.

Betting on more than 20 races/week will send you broke, unless you are playing trifectas or first fours and getting a few good divs.

I REST MY CASE!
Old 27th May 2002, 04:59 AM

Placegetter- I couldn't agree with you more.

I'm sure people who do have a system whether it is bought or self developed not only enjoy betting more but win more.