Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 23rd November 2013, 03:23 PM

Default Cyberhorse Form outtage

For those wondering what happened to the form files from Cyberhorse.
Bill has said that the server crashed and corrupted the database.
I believe this ocurred yesterday, so no form for yesterday or the weekend.
Don't know how long it's going to take to be rebuilt properly, but they are going to get a backup, and then of course all the new form loaded.

Could take quite some time

Sorry guys, I found out last night, but had to be out early this morning and only just returned home.
*RaceCensus now updated to 29/02/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 23rd November 2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Prince
For those wondering what happened to the form files from Cyberhorse.
Bill has said that the server crashed and corrupted the database.
I believe this ocurred yesterday, so no form for yesterday or the weekend.
Don't know how long it's going to take to be rebuilt properly, but they are going to get a backup, and then of course all the new form loaded.

Could take quite some time

Sorry guys, I found out last night, but had to be out early this morning and only just returned home.
Re. his backup regime, I have been with Cyber from the very first and when he had his earliest data corruption years ago he asked us to help out and upload the zipfiles if we kept it.

I think if I as a individual punter can keep my backups up to date it should be mandatory for him to have one of several backup drives ready to slot in. One back-up drive for a business like his is no backup.

Lucky I'm using other sources too.
Old 23rd November 2013, 04:41 PM

From what I can gather his database is hosted by his isp, so it's not his drive failing, he has to upload his backup to his isp, imagine how long that would take!
Isp's generally only have one backup, so if their server crashes, backup and real data gone, they're not going to fish around in old drives to reupload it, because it's of no consequence to them.
This is another reason I will not put anything on the Cloud, and use a raid configuration server at home. If it crashes, hot swap a drive, if it's corrupted, restore from an image file.

Many major worldwide companies are very sorry they ever heard of the Cloud, including Amazon.com. All my previous companies went offsite to the Cloud and they regularly ring me for help. Sorry, can't help them!
Old 23rd November 2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
This is another reason I will not put anything on the Cloud, and use a raid configuration server at home. If it crashes, hot swap a drive, if it's corrupted, restore from an image file.

Many major worldwide companies are very sorry they ever heard of the Cloud, including Amazon.com. All my previous companies went offsite to the Cloud and they regularly ring me for help. Sorry, can't help them!
Cloud was pushed on us early on and been touted as the best thing since sliced bread.

My boss is fairly old fashioned if one can say that about an IT guy and after some trial and eval. he decided it's not for us.

I heard some horror stories too, but regardless it seems to work for others, good luck to them I say.
Old 27th November 2013, 06:10 PM

Still no form, and still no word.
It's looking bleak for the weekend.
Old 27th November 2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog1
Cloud was pushed on us early on and been touted as the best thing since sliced bread.

My boss is fairly old fashioned if one can say that about an IT guy and after some trial and eval. he decided it's not for us.

I heard some horror stories too, but regardless it seems to work for others, good luck to them I say.

Yep I'm an old fashioned IT guy, there have been numerous reports of hackers accessing the Cloud. Most companies have credit card numbers, full personnel details including bank account details, trust and business account details etc etc and all the information a hacker would need to set up several clone identities and use those identities to siphon funds.Just recently a number of companies including Adobe and Racing Post have emailed me to say they had security breaches and although it's encrypted, a hacker has all the time in the world to work it out, once he's downloaded all the data. Happened to Betfair accounts also.

Cloud may be good for hosting unimportant files like iTunes music, but confidential and banking details is asking for trouble. Also most companies trust Microsoft to have uncorrupted backups, I know of a few ocassions where the backups were corrupted and all company information was lost forever!
Going to be loads of fun come Tax time!!!

Tatsbet was also very suspiciously slow last week for a number of days at off peak times.
Old 27th November 2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Still no form, and still no word.
It's looking bleak for the weekend.
I fear my suspicions (backup) are confirmed.
Never be without a plan B and C.
As someone here mentioned, all you need fall behind is to miss a good winner, and none of us need any help with that. Doubly painful when it's out of your control.
Old 28th November 2013, 02:24 AM

I am only just starting to use a cloud server from Amazon, main reason is i am able to upload my excel and Gruss software and run it with no issues, since i am no longer fully set up it makes sense to me and at a nice cost as i only run it when i need to.

I can use remote desktop from my tablet with out issues so i don't even need to buy a windows tablet if i need to run some software when away from home, so they can be useful but agree on backups, as i don't use a data base or anything heavy i just have a 4 bay usb3 hard drive storage unit and run 2 3gig drives in mirror.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 28th November 2013, 09:37 AM

You've got a very smart setup Shaun.
Cloud has it's uses, like you say for hosting and remote access etc.
Keeping a backup of data on the Cloud is also useful, just wouldn't run a large corporation or put bank account or payroll details on it.

Still no word and no files on Cyberhorse, not even a posting on their site that I can see.
Old 28th November 2013, 09:53 AM

The thing that annoys me is that there hasn't been a single word from C****e. Not a scintilla of explanation/apology to clients. Nothing. NO response to emails, their telephone is off the hook.

I've had enough and won't be re-subscribing. I'll write off the balance of my subscription to experience/tax and go elsewhere.