Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 31st August 2005, 01:18 PM

Ok. Here's one. Since there have been a few people willing to think a little differently, you might give it a go (for a while, at least!!!)

Look at any races which are Open or above. This includes Open 3yo and races for females. At those Metro tracks which have No Metro Wins/1 Metro Win races etc you may wish to include these as well.

Rule 1) Select all horses which have NO places in the past three runs. Any spell (ie - or X) is ignored; treated like it isn't there. Example 2506 or 5X06. Any horse with 1 place in the past three IS acceptable if all three places add up to 19 or more (0 is worth 10). Example 2081 or 929 or 2X89 or 88X3 etc etc. You'll note that having two places means it can't possibly add up to 19. This first rule will bring "apparent" non-performers to the fore or horses which have only one vaguely "decent" run in three.
Rule 2) Look at past three runs of those from Rule #1 and keep any that have NOT been beaten 10 lengths or more, more than ONCE. ie If a horse has been thrashed twice (or three times) in three runs it is seriously hopeless and even one win/place with two thrashings is "probably" a fluke. It shouldn't stick to this grade.
Rule 3) Bet all that are left which are at 20 or MORE.

That's it!! Here you have horses going round in better grades who have been performing moderately and who are almost certain to be ignored by any kind of person looking for "consistency". Except if the win/place was Last Start or a win Second Last Start you will see few systems pinpointing these horses.Often the win/place will be in lower grades,if recent (hence the 20s on offer), or similar grade if the third or Second Last Start (the subsequent "poor" performance will have scared punters away; hence the 20s).
Your job is to check the beaten margins as this will tell you more than the 3X89 etc about where the horse actually was in the race. This idea is pretty basic but give it a go. Bet ALL the qualifyers. After a while you MIGHT want to quinella or even trifecta them as well (keep an eye on this for a few weeks).
Theoretically, a trainer who's horse is as "hopeless" as some of these will appear, "should" either spell the horse or DROP it (further?) in grade, if possible. That they don't is "suggestive". You may wish to discard horses who's only win/place (if they had one in the three races) or a close-up finish 2 lengths or less) was AT LONG ODDS, on the principle that THAT was the upset/shock improvement you "should've" been on. Because these horses ARE inconsistent it might be too much hoping for two "shocks" so close together. This last is only a suggestion. My advice on this is method..... Bet Small if you are not convinced, but if either Big or Small betting BE BRAVE!!! Cheers.

Last edited by punter57 : 31st August 2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 31st August 2005, 02:24 PM

hello all,

Sorry Crash to have posted in this thread..i really wasnt expecting much of a response.

Punter57 I'm gonna have to digest what you wrote...i can see how what i wrote is a lot to chew on.

Many thanks for the feedback.... Im always interested in reading what you all have to write. There are many ways to skin a cat..got to go with what works for you and exictes you..if you have to feel excited. that is.

I think the best punters do not get emotionally involved. They are neither up or down emotionally...just cool. I was a better punter in the early days when horses didnt actually interest me all that much and I knew absolutely nothing. I just had a plan using ratings that someone else did and I applied a plan to it, faithfully adhering to it.

It's difficult to avoid the constant hype and emotion of the racecourse and the media and eventually it gets you..you see a special horse and fall in love with it...

I still dont do my own ratings, though I have a grasp of how they are done, and I read Don Scotts book many times. I probably got more out of punters books of old than anything else. Luckily for me, I grasped the idea of applying a selection method (system) to ratings. I figured neither ratings or systems on thier own can stand alone, but can be powerful when combined.
Old 31st August 2005, 04:55 PM

Good afternoon. I know many wouldn't have had a chance to look at my Post 21. Still I'll let you know how it did in all the races in Brisbane/Melbourne/Wyong and Balaklava. It is designed for Saturdays and good racedays (hence the use of Opens and above), but might be applicable to lower class races on weekdays as these meetings tend to be lower quality. I've never looked into this.Anyway.

BR4 #5 No Place

MR4 #4 No Place #10 2nd $5.35 #11 No Place
MR5 #11 No Place
MR6 #1 3rd $10.70 #2 WON $26.00 and $5.90

NR7 #6 3rd $5.20 #8 No Place #11 No Place #13 No Place

AR8 #11 3rd $17.30
This gives 12 Bets $26.00 W (ie 133% POT)
$ 44.15 P (ie 270% POT)

This is a little unusual as the Win is generally better than the place. Obviously, had Kehlstein won at $83.20(Unitab) in Balaklava instead of only paying $17.30 for third, this would've been more "normal".
As I said you may wish to modify the "class" of racing for mid-week. Had you chosen Class 3, for example as your bottom quality for today you would have got;
BR5 # 10 which paid $56.80 W and $11.00 P.

I hope this can be of help to anyone with an interest in avoiding shortpriced money-burners. If you read this, Crash, feel free to look into it.(No need to acknowledge it, however) Good luck everyone.

Last edited by punter57 : 31st August 2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 31st August 2005, 05:11 PM
Suspended.

How about you take your system and give it it's own thread that it deserves Punter 57 [I'm not knocking it]? I think that would be fair enough. Don't you ?

Last edited by crash : 31st August 2005 at 05:13 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 1st September 2005, 10:09 AM

Hi Punter 57, a 26.00 winner..Now THAT has certainly got my full attention..you are talking my language here LOL. have you been monitoring this method for long? I'd be real interested to learn of your findings...Thanks again for the input!
Old 1st September 2005, 10:45 AM

Smile

Hi Crash, Ive changed the "display mode" on this site and now I can finally determine the nanme and start of each thread. I see this thread was started by you and entitled "No brainer" etc. I'm sorry to have intruded.
All the best
Old 1st September 2005, 11:21 AM
Suspended.

Well the thread name certainly seem to attract an enduring clientèle :-)
Old 3rd September 2005, 03:19 PM
Suspended.

There were 6 selections for today but 2 were scratched.

Melb.
R3/9 We can't say that [2nd. beaten by 148/1 shot]
R7/7 Our Smokin Joe [still to run]
Syd.
R3/4 Foxy Tyra [win 12.60 ]
Brisb.
R6/4 Umaprince [still to run]
Old 3rd September 2005, 04:19 PM
Suspended.

Our Smoking Joe and Imuprince both ran 3rd.

Outlay 4units Return 12.6

Total Win outlay so far 9 units. Return 19.9 units.
Old 4th September 2005, 07:34 AM

Interesting.,..the only selection in that lot that came up in my own methods was Foxy Tyra..and it won..very interesting...