Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 16th August 2001, 01:00 AM
Greg

Thanx Matt, that sounds like a great system. I'll have to check it out. And honestly it's probably as good as any other "system". Last Melb Cup day my sister virtually used a pin and came out ahead.
pengo is dead right - you need to understand the market. What is really needed is a combination of good selections and smart staking.
Maybe we should all learn to be bookies.
Old 16th August 2001, 03:07 PM

Greg
Funny you should say we should all learn to be bookies. Several months ago I placed an ad trying to sell what I do, what in effect is bet like a bookie. Had several interested parties, but no takers. The other week on the Randwick greyhound track I had my best day yet, and I don't even do the form!
Good bookieing, I mean punting.
Old 21st August 2001, 07:31 PM

If you don't mind revealing, how many horses per race are you backing using your
bookie-esque system Mark?
Old 22nd August 2001, 05:10 PM

Tony
It depends on the market. In a race of 10 starters I would be on between 7 & 9 of the runners. Have a read of my posting under SUNLINE.
Old 22nd August 2001, 07:55 PM

Yes, I read that Mark and searched all the Sydney Saturday races this year with 8 to 12 starters. Out of the 150 races found there were 50 winners in the 6/1 or better range (can only search on tote odds but close enough for the purposes of this exercise) These 50 averaged 15/1 or close enough. If the favourite averaged 7/4 in these races, you are left with about 70% even if your market is 105 which I can't ever remember seeing in Melbourne unless you are talking top of the flucs across the board. At this rate backing every horse bar the favourite in these races was a very big losing game unless (a) you are very selective which race you enter, how to without considering form? (b) you lay more than 1 horse as you appear to from the above post, again how without form.
I am not doubting you are doing it Mark just trying to get you to divulge a bit more of your method which understandably you may decline.
Old 23rd August 2001, 03:57 PM

Tony
You're right, I'm not going to give everything away, because I have tried to market what I do at what I thought to be be an extremely reasonable rate. Initial enquiries were met with a mix of scepticism (fair enough) to laziness, i.e "that won't work" or "sounds too complicated to me".
I bet on a lot more Syd than Melb, and Brisbane in a blue moon & Adelaide in a polka dot moon. Yes I am selective, but not by form study but by market structure. A race with a short priced fav or 2 right in the market are ususally good races, UNLESS the % are too high, say 115+ on top odds. A bad race would be 4/1,4/1,9/2,9/2,7/1,7/1,20/1,20/1, 111% win and 299% place, the place % is the key, and how much you have on each selection varies.
In your example did you look at the price of the placed horses as well?, & your research showed that 1 in 3 winners were 6/1+ & averaged 15/1, so 33% winning races at 15/1, sounds good to me. You ask if the fav was 7/4; there have been races where equal favs have been say 2/1 each, that leaves me with 39%, not 70, there have been races where there were 3 well in the market, say 2/1, 5/2 & 7/2, and predicted to run 1-2-3 by all the so-called experts, that leaves me with 22%. There have been races where the fav or favoured horse has won, roughies have run the places & I have won or received most of my stake back. What I'm saying is that it's not all cut & dried straight 'dutch-book' staking, and the staking is the part that I'm definately not giving away. 2 last very rare examples. Race 1 has 2 @ evens & 6 @ 100/1. Win = 106%, place = 184%. Race 2 has 12 runners all @ 11/1. Win = 100% BUT the place = closer to 320%. A big difference. Who knows, if this keeps up Propun may offer me a job as some sort of market analyst!!!??? Anyone truly interested can email me on LynneMark@bigpond.com

Old 28th August 2001, 06:50 PM

Mark, I can't retrieve place prices using my software so I can't answer your question.
Your approach seems like one that relies on a feel for a set of circumstances that is not easily transferrable to someone not accustomed to observing data from such a perspective. Like all approaches to form study, beauty is in the eye of the practiced observor.
Old 31st August 2001, 09:39 AM
taipan

Mark,
What would the possibilities be for your system if you were able to offload runners that you had backed, by laying them off a short time later at a shorter price?
Taipan

Old 1st September 2001, 09:43 AM

Taipan
That would be the icing on the cake, but we all know that sort of thing doesn't go in betting rings. Just like nobody bets on protests.
Old 13th September 2001, 12:11 PM

Hi Cathy - you may like to talk with me. Email me direct on cameron398@ozemail.com.au re a trifecta system which you may be interested in...