Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 20th February 2013, 07:28 AM

If Warney needs part of 96K we're all in trouble TO He only ever plays Texas Holdem and he always plays the biggest tables his funds will allow, scares the h ell out of me.

Thanks again everyone for all your comments and I sincerely hope some of it rubs off. What the kid achieved yesterday is life changing for him as long as he gets his dough.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs
If Warney needs part of 96K we're all in trouble TO He only ever plays Texas Holdem and he always plays the biggest tables his funds will allow, scares the h ell out of me.

He might be a gun, macs (or a son of a gun ) but this is exactly what he shouldn't be doing (money management wise) because this will just end in tears.

He really should only be risking maybe 5%, 10% or max 20% (really too high though) of his bankroll at any one time (not all of it).

I'm not sure of the stakes levels but if he is playing a $500/$1000 table for example then he really should only be playing a $50/$100 table bringing 10% of his funds to the table.

Money management is about being able to fight another day (or lots of other days), not risk it all on the turn of a card.

― Earl Nightingale
Old 20th February 2013, 08:02 AM

Maybe I didn't explain that real well TO, he never takes his bank to a table, he's not completely stupid, just young and full of the exuberance of youth.

Some tables he was playing on yesterday wouldn't let him sit down with small amounts after he'd been there and won so he'd have to sit with 10-12K which he did but that was the largest I saw. I was more referring to the blinds, he loves them up around $200-$400 as he reckons if you're on song you can make 5-10K in a few hands. My question is always what happens if you're not on song? I just get a grin and no comment.
Old 20th February 2013, 08:19 AM

Ah, to be bullet proof. As you say, you are not always on song and what if one of the other players is more on song than him?

10-12k is maybe okay then if you have a 60k plus (20%) bankroll but not if you only have a 12k bankroll.

Good luck to him anyway. I would love to be good at poker and not a break even or less player.

― Earl Nightingale
Old 20th February 2013, 03:33 PM

I think he's got a definite problem getting his money now TO. He did exactly the opposite of what I suggested and stayed up with his Brother in Law playing until 5am which I had no idea about when I posted earlier as I left for work appointments at 7.30am.

Believe it or not and I wouldn't blame anyone for the answer being not, his account now has well in excess of half a million dollars in it but I can't believe it's real, there has to be a catch somewhere even if it is promoted by the great Shane Warne. He's already contacted 888 Poker so we'll just sit back and see what happens.
Old 20th February 2013, 04:11 PM

Nothing personal but I don't believe it. All I can say is that he must be on one h ell of a heater and to get out as soon as possible.

Has he ever played live before? With that sort of bankroll he could play in all those world series of poker and world poker tour events which have a 10k buy-in.

― Earl Nightingale
Old 20th February 2013, 04:17 PM

Macs
I will continue as the devil's advocate. There may be 2 problems. Firstly there is the problem of getting his money out. That is paramount. You have to ensure that he can get his money out now and in the future. The second is another elephant. That this does not control him. When I was young gambling could have controlled me except that I got taught a lesson very early after leaving the local game with my winnings.

Going up in stakes is going be a different game with a diferent type of people.

I suggest that he works out a comfortable bank to start with each session and pull everything else off the table each day.
Old 20th February 2013, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
his account now has well in excess of half a million dollars in it

Well he's just blown his 'rock & roll' eligibility bigtime

Seriously though, as with all things, until the the folding stuffs in your skyrocket, she's all 'woulda, coulda, shoulda'.
Old 20th February 2013, 04:27 PM

Smile

Quote:
I think he's got a definite problem getting his money now TO. He did exactly the opposite of what I suggested and stayed up with his Brother in Law playing until 5am which I had no idea about when I posted earlier as I left for work appointments at 7.30am.

Believe it or not and I wouldn't blame anyone for the answer being not, his account now has well in excess of half a million dollars in it but I can't believe it's real, there has to be a catch somewhere even if it is promoted by the great Shane Warne. He's already contacted 888 Poker so we'll just sit back and see what happens.

Get the cash off him and buy some blue-chips and maybe an investment property.

Good luck to him, he can now retire!

"I buy when other people are selling.”
― J. Paul Getty
Old 20th February 2013, 04:30 PM
Banned