Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 20th February 2014, 06:35 PM

Default Luddite Revolution

Are there any fellow "baby-boomers" out there who like me are generally discontented with life in this age?
With major concerns about climate(hoax btw imo) and not getting "value for money" in everyday life do you like me, long for the easy-going 70s-80s when there were a plethora of new exciting songs being released on juke-boxes country-wide and living expenses were affordable?
Yes, I could be labelled as a "dinosaur" but it is a "badge" which I wear with great pride because imo we definitely had it better "in the good old days."
My opinions were sparked by an article on "Truth.com"-check it out!
Everyone had a job and costs were in proportion to everybody's budget.
So, join me in my campaign(refer Wikipedia)....I await any comments.

Cheers.
Old 20th February 2014, 08:01 PM

Thumbs up

I agree with you xanadu. I don't talk much about it, because "we" are labelled grumpy old men
However, if you haven't experienced the different world we were used to, how can they make comparisons. Progress is progress, but not everything is positive.
We have to tolerate all sorts of alternative people pushing their lifestyles in our faces constantly, and bear the brunt of public opinion for even suggesting that they might be kidding themselves.
There are more rules and regulations than San Quentin inmates had to endure.
Everyone seems to think they can make decisions for our own good and the we aren't capable of making even the simplest decisions.
Our kids aren't allowed to mention Christmas at school or even talk about Santa Claus for fear of alienting new arrivals. Our great Aussie traditions and lifestyles are disappearing in a multicultural mousse.

I am not racist nor anything else, I just feel that why should we bend so far
that we sacrifice our own culture. If I were to suddenly emigrate to another country I would expect to have to fit in, I wouldn't expect them to have to accomodate me and my feelings. Whatever happened to "when in Rome".

Xanadu, I will be retiring to the country in the next few years, where old Australia still exists.

It's not a matter of taste it's a matter of churning out cheap time limited garbage songs. How many songs from the 90's or 2000's stood the test of time, none but one or two offbeat songs.

Our politicians constantly lie to us, and open the door to the very worst in the name of supercharging the economy.
How did that work for us?
Not so good.
There are no jobs and no houses.
My daughter can't find a place even to rent.

I agree 100% xanadu.
*RaceCensus now updated to 29/02/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 20th February 2014, 11:17 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

Everything in the previous 2 posts just about say's it all for me.

And then there were 3.

Cheers.
Gary f.
Old 20th February 2014, 11:41 PM

Australia is doomed, economically.
Ford, GMH, Toyota and that aluminum plant in Vic I think is gone or going.
The domino effect has and is well and truly......

As I was doing my Thursday morning racing, Port Kembla was next with it's chimney on TV.

Race Tracks are not immune, look at Cheltenham, gone to developers, are they locals or off shore who sold us crappy imports that don't work, got our money and now buying up because we cannot manufacture locally anymore.

We seen it before, Liberal gets the books back in the black, Labor gets it back in the red, and now the Liberals are trying to get it back in the black, it's the same old song and dance.

carbon tax ?
ha ha ha ha and haaa,
In the local paper according to a professor it reads, ( the math )
Quote:
"the carbon tax would lower the worlds temperature in 2100 by just
0.0038 of one degree"

I know what 1 is , ( One ) and after 1 comes 2, ( Two ), and so on.
So 0.0038 of One Degree, ( it does not say Fahrenheit or Celsius),
by 2100, ( 86 years ).

Is the Carbon Tax issue worth the time and cost to debate about in
Canberra over a Sum of ( 0.0038 / 86 years) ?
Old 21st February 2014, 05:39 AM
Banned

You talk about so called climate change. My mother was raised on a farm out Western NSW. She can remember droughts, no water in the tanks and having to walk down to the river and fill old kerosene tins up with muddy water and walk it back to the homestead. No power, no fridges, no tv etc and yet they didn't think they were hard done by, they accepted it for what it was and got on with life. Nowadays the kids are whingeing when their phone goes flat and Mum's late picking them up in an air conditioned car! Can't blame em' I suppose, we've just spoilt them too much. Every new generation gets it materially easier than the last, but ends up with new challenges to face.
Old 21st February 2014, 02:34 PM

The carbon tax may not be a great idea, BUT, if you think that climate change is not real, and man is not responsible for it, you are dead set deluding yourself!!!!!!!

For the record, I'm an EJ Holden model.
Old 21st February 2014, 03:31 PM
Banned

Talking

The older I get the more fun I have.

The good old days one worked 60 hours for $90.

IMO one can shove the "good old days "up ones clacker.
Old 21st February 2014, 03:36 PM

There are two sides to this argument, and I think they are both right to a degree.
There is no doubt that the ice caps are melting causing rising sea levels and loss of arctic and antarctic habitat.
The hot spells are getting longer and later.
The winters are getting colder and longer.
My Mother remembers the great floods at Charlton, she's 86 and sharp as a tack.
No, not the last round of floods, the first time the whole town went under
She also remembers the heatwaves that equated to over 45 degrees celsius and a day it hit the equivalent of 48.5 degrees.
This was before the weather beaureau accurately recorded temperatures and get this, it was a themometer in the shade of the Town Hall!!!!
However, there is definitive proof that carbon emissions coupled with the mass felling of our trees and forests has a significant impact on the levels of CO2.

The massive increase in population, housing construction (population spreading) , automotive and manufacturing, means that we are spewing out at least 10 times as much as twenty years ago.
Take a look at China, people cough up black soot and the sky is constantly grey.
Even in America, the smog in Los Angeles and New York is a mixture of emissions.

I don't fully believe the doom and gloom of the Government nor the scientists.
There is evidence to suggest that both are unrelated, however, each exacerbates the other when it's a combination.

It is a combination of natural ebb and flow of seasons, magnified by the change in axis of our orbit to the Sun and the emissions simply make the result of those factors more intense.

I remember as a kid, my Dad bucketing his veggies due to water restrictions and he wasn't allowed to wash the car. We less than a quarter of the current population back then, and less than a quarter of vehicles on the road.
Old 21st February 2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkydog2002
The older I get the more fun I have.

The good old days one worked 60 hours for $90.

IMO one can shove the "good old days "up ones clacker.

Bahahahaha good one Darky, there's always one

The good old days, that $90 bought one hell of a lot more my friend.
And except for the Great Depression, everyone had a fair shake at earning that $90 or more.
Old 21st February 2014, 03:51 PM

Little off topic but for some reason this thread reminded me of a recent quote from a TV series I am loving at the moment - True Detective. Perhaps it was because of the unhappiness many feel but are unable to adequately explain, who knows.

I think human consciousness, is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

Not sure which side to fall on when it comes to the climate change debate as to be honest I trust very little of what I hear in the public domain. But I believe that if it is us, the human race, that it threatening the future of the planet, then nature will have a giant say in if we can continue doing so.

Last edited by norisk : 21st February 2014 at 03:54 PM.