Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 30th January 2002, 09:33 AM

Catparrot, thanks for spending the time to give advice.
Old 30th January 2002, 09:45 AM

Why anyone would put up with any bookmaker taking 5% of your winnings for betting at top fluctuations is beyond me. DAS might provide a reasonable service in some areas but their policy of taking a percentage of winnings on top fluc bets is highway robbery.

When you bet top fluctuations YOU are doing the bookies a favour by giving them an opportunity to frame an early market. Why do you think they offer top flucs in the first place?

There are plenty of bookmakers who offer top flucs and don't pinch your profits.
Old 30th January 2002, 12:15 PM

Spot on Reenster,
In fact the name top flucs for the DAS product is a joke and is misleading. It should be called "a twist or two below top fluc".
$100 @ 8/1 gets $900 at top flucs or $855 with DAS ( around 15/2 ).
If your profit margin is 5% ( not bad long term ), you break even betting with Darwin. Why would you?
I have a feeling these posts will be erased in the near future.
Old 30th January 2002, 12:50 PM

It would be hypocritical of Propun to delete these posts. Neil Davis's weekly Punt to Win report (an excellent feature of the site) is constantly on the back of bookies to lift their game.

The criticism of DAS is valid, constructive and fair. I simply can't see how DAS can compete with other bookies by charging for a top fluc service.

This forum promotes healthy discussion of all issues in racing and this is one issue I feel strongly about. I won't have a bar of any other aspect of DAS because of its top fluc policy. I pay my bookie too much on my losing bets, there's no way he's getting any of my winnings as well.
Old 30th January 2002, 06:25 PM

Mr. Magic I'm surprised you think these posts would be deleted.
Pro-Punter would know that top fluc. minus 5% would mean even poorer Adelaide bookmaker prices than what they currently are. They regularly slam the Adelaide bookies so it's pretty obvious what they would think about top fluc. minus 5% betting on Adelaide racing.

[ This Message was edited by: The Catparrot on 2002-01-30 19:43 ]
Old 31st January 2002, 11:03 AM

And yet they remain strangely quiet about it. It's probably the one thing about bookmakers I haven't heard any criticism about from Propun.

Sometimes the silence can be deafening.
Old 31st January 2002, 02:29 PM

I think you have made a mistake there Reenster. I think every week they are criticising bookies odds with a % deduction taken out from winning bets. If you go to http://www.propun.com.au/betting_advice.html you will see some short priced favourites in a table with top fluc given and punters told "See the minimum prices you should have received. Make sure you do." Every week this is updated with the same message in Punt To Win. Note the "Make sure you do." I think it's pretty clear they are saying don't take odds from bookies with a % deduction."
Old 31st January 2002, 03:32 PM

No mistake Catparrot. Read even further and you'll find that the table which asks whether you accepted tote odds or got the best bookmakers odds then tells you to click here to find out how you can.

The link brings you to an offer to open an account with DAS where "Also, for thoroughbred racing punters..." you can get "Top official betting ring price fluctuation."

To its credit it does make a brief mention of the 5% deduction but then you're not really getting top official fluctuations are you? So the table telling you to make sure you get the top fluctuations is an ad for a bookmaker who doesn't offer those prices.

Look, Propun is a fantastic site and in many ways is regarded as an industry watchdog which is great. However, in this case there is an apparent conflict of interest because I'm sure if the company didn't have a deal with DAS, Neil Davis would be screaming from the rafters about the nerve of a bookmaker taking 5% of punter's winnings as well as their losing bets.

You're right, they are not completely silent but they are a hell of a lot quieter than they normally are about bookmakers and much less noisy than they would be if a rails bookmaker tried the same trick.

And that speaks volumes.

Cheers

Old 31st January 2002, 06:54 PM

I did. I might be missing something, but the page heading highlights DAS divi plus, and I didn't see any mention of top fluc.
Old 1st February 2002, 08:08 AM

I'd love to be able to say that that is exactly my point (the fact that they make no mention of the top fluc minus 5% "deal") but I can't.

Further down the page there is a heading in bold, "Also for thoroughbred punters..." and this is where it mentions top fluc betting.

I don't know why we're arguing about this anyway. Please tell me the rumblings wouldn't be much louder if an Adelaide bookmaker was taking 5% of punter's profits on bets laid at top fluc.