OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums

OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/index.php)
-   General Topics (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Who is still around and how are you doing? (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=32155)

evajb001 23rd April 2021 12:21 PM

Who is still around and how are you doing?

Hi All,

I've been checking the forums infrequently lately and as i'm sure many of you have noticed there isn't a whole lot of material being added - or not to the extent that there used to be.

Was just curious who is still around and how are your punting experiences going? A couple of the main people i've interacted within previously are Uselessbettor and Shaun, so i'm not sure if you lads are still around but anyone else is welcome to reply too.

I'm still just going day by day, week by week recording data and trialing things but still yet to find anything I can follow in a simple manner for horse racing. I have no doubt that understanding the data and the area's value are likely to exist have helped shape my betting to be more profitable but its still just from a recreational point of view. There's no system for me to follow yet that I can reliably follow knowing that in 3 months time there's a solid chance ill have some profit.

Which leads me to the other side of the coin, sport punting. Me and a mate have been following NBA prop bets for two full seasons now and made substantial profit from a units point of view. However there's no room to expand the outlay side of things because then you get limited or banned. So I continue to plod along with small stakes making a tidy profit each season as some side money.

For AFL I've finally read my second book since graduating from uni 10 years ago haha and its helped shape my models and approach to betting it. There's some prop betting as well with AFL that i'm trialing for the first time this season and finding success with but once again because its such a soft market its easier to find the profit, but hard to increase stakes without being banned or limited.

Finally there's NRL which I have next to no knowledge in myself, but my mate who does the NBA with has a model and follows the sport so he passes his picks through which I follow.

There's definitely some sports and soft underlying markets out there to make profit on, its just not as sustainable or life changing because you are limited as to how much you can increase staking or fly under the radar. Racing has been by far the most difficult for me to find something to follow consistently.

Anyhow thats turned into a long post. Anyone else got something to add?

theoldguy 24th April 2021 09:11 AM

hi eva ..good post..seems a lot have dropped off here .i mean stop posting not the other "dropping off".but we still have the archives from day 1 ..makes good reading on winter nights ....good punting [but more important good health] to all today ..punting gods please put a wing on each foot on syd r4 no5 entente..i need a win to pay for my meds next week [only kidding] cheers TOG..

partypooper 25th April 2021 01:21 AM

long, long, time since I posted here, but just to assure you that we ("old timers" still look in but don't comment, I'm sure that I don't need to explain why) ??

Mark 25th April 2021 09:49 AM

Still here, still going.
Last year was huge, turnover up, profit up, and way back down this year.

I do have a question/request.
If anyone knows hot to program a bot to us with Betangel, email me.
I'm willing to pay or even share what I would like to do.
It involves UK racing which I just cannot stay up and work anymore.

punt mark at hot mail dot com

entropy 25th April 2021 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Still here, still going.
Last year was huge, turnover up, profit up, and way back down this year.

I do have a question/request.
If anyone knows hot to program a bot to us with Betangel, email me.
I'm willing to pay or even share what I would like to do.
It involves UK racing which I just cannot stay up and work anymore.

punt mark at hot mail dot com

G'day Mark,

No experience with Bet Angel but use Marketfeeder Pro which is fairly straightforward to program and has a helpful user's Forum. The people behind the program provide quick feedback and advice in my experience.

Mark 25th April 2021 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
G'day Mark,

No experience with Bet Angel but use Marketfeeder Pro which is fairly straightforward to program and has a helpful user's Forum. The people behind the program provide quick feedback and advice in my experience.

Thanks mate. I had a look, no mention of SP which is what I need. Plus I am less than a dummy when it comes to programming. I know what I want to do, just need someone else to set it all up for me. I have one at the moment but it has its glitches and the person who did it for me has no idea why. I can't work that way.

entropy 26th April 2021 12:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks mate. I had a look, no mention of SP which is what I need. Plus I am less than a dummy when it comes to programming. I know what I want to do, just need someone else to set it all up for me. I have one at the moment but it has its glitches and the person who did it for me has no idea why. I can't work that way.

Marketfeeder is tailored for a large number of the Betfair markets. Likely to be more accurate than SP or are you saying you need to bet into an SP market?
Or are you deriving information from the SP prices?

entropy 26th April 2021 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evajb001
Hi All,

I've been checking the forums infrequently lately and as i'm sure many of you have noticed there isn't a whole lot of material being added - or not to the extent that there used to be.

Was just curious who is still around and how are your punting experiences going? A couple of the main people i've interacted within previously are Uselessbettor and Shaun, so i'm not sure if you lads are still around but anyone else is welcome to reply too.

I'm still just going day by day, week by week recording data and trialing things but still yet to find anything I can follow in a simple manner for horse racing. I have no doubt that understanding the data and the area's value are likely to exist have helped shape my betting to be more profitable but its still just from a recreational point of view. There's no system for me to follow yet that I can reliably follow knowing that in 3 months time there's a solid chance ill have some profit.

Which leads me to the other side of the coin, sport punting. Me and a mate have been following NBA prop bets for two full seasons now and made substantial profit from a units point of view. However there's no room to expand the outlay side of things because then you get limited or banned. So I continue to plod along with small stakes making a tidy profit each season as some side money.

For AFL I've finally read my second book since graduating from uni 10 years ago haha and its helped shape my models and approach to betting it. There's some prop betting as well with AFL that i'm trialing for the first time this season and finding success with but once again because its such a soft market its easier to find the profit, but hard to increase stakes without being banned or limited.

Finally there's NRL which I have next to no knowledge in myself, but my mate who does the NBA with has a model and follows the sport so he passes his picks through which I follow.

There's definitely some sports and soft underlying markets out there to make profit on, its just not as sustainable or life changing because you are limited as to how much you can increase staking or fly under the radar. Racing has been by far the most difficult for me to find something to follow consistently.

Anyhow thats turned into a long post. Anyone else got something to add?

Good post evajb!

You raise issues most of us come to deal with.
The punt is getting tougher!

At the prompting of a friend I turned early last year to that other great punt, the stock market.

I have no background at all in share trading but enjoy collecting and absorbing data and analyzing it, developing algorithms, building models etc. Pleasantly shocked at the low commissions of about 1% compared to betting and started to divert more of the betting bank to the stockmarket. Sometimes only holding stocks for 20 minutes mostly for several days to several weeks. Aiming for small percentage on large turnover.
I'm still inexperienced but so far active share trading for me has been less time consuming than the punt and more profitable.

Mark 26th April 2021 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
Marketfeeder is tailored for a large number of the Betfair markets. Likely to be more accurate than SP or are you saying you need to bet into an SP market?
Or are you deriving information from the SP prices?

I lay @ SP.

entropy 26th April 2021 11:19 AM

Quote:
I lay @ SP.

Ah! Thanks, now I see where you are coming from.

Back in the day I used to scrape Mark Read's prices with a Perl script and drop them into a spreadsheet.

Are you after a particular set of prices?
I am happy to test my Perl scripts to see if they can do the task.
Still using several Perl scripts daily for other data.