Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 12th August 2012, 09:26 AM

Wink In-Runnning

Last Friday I noticed that favourites (I only looked at races where the Betfair fave was under $3 and it was the pronounced fave) that almost immediately after the race-start that their Lay price on the Exchange was surprisingly less than their S.P. price.

However, if their Lay price was more than their S.P. price then they more often than not firmed during the race (in-running) to be under their S.P. price. And the few that did not firm did not win the race.

Yesterday I was not at my computer for a long time, but before the race I bet S.P. for $5 and then layed it on the Exchange for $6 for two of these races.

I ended up with an all-green field on both races for a profit of about $10.

I know this can be dangerous, but it might be something to keep in mind.

Last edited by michaelg : 12th August 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12th August 2012, 02:27 PM

If I understand this correctly, you are backing first thereby restricting your loss to only the back bet - say a minimum of $5. That's not too dangerous really when your backing a shortish priced clear fave anyway.

Where is your lay bet going in at? Say your backing at $3, where would the lay bet go in? $2, $2.50, $1.01?

― Earl Nightingale
Old 12th August 2012, 04:07 PM

Wink

The Ocho.

It happens quite quickly, and not having Fox/Sky I'm at the mercy of the race-callers who fortunately seem to concentrate on the leaders.

That's right about my sequence of betting. I first bet the $5 on S.P. and as soon as it goes lower on the Exchange I then lay it for the amount of $6 providing its price is less than its S.P. price. Currently I don't have a set lay-price because it can be a matter of opinion - the words and the tone of the voice of the race-caller can be very helpful because it gives a hint how the horse is going, and if one gets the impression that it is going to be hard to beat one can therefore wait a little longer expecting its lay price to lower, or even not lay it.

Yesterday in one race I offered a price of around $2.10 on the Exchange which was the current lay price but because it can happen quite quickly it's price immediately fell and I was matched at $1.10 - I seem to remember it was fairly late in the race and I got the impression from the race-caller that the horse was well in front and nothing was going to catch it.

I expect there to be instances where the race-caller may say it can't win, and if it's price is not too high I might lay it hoping the caller is right.

Out of interest there has been one race today that has already been run in which the fave was about $3.60 S.P. yet its first lay price was less than $3.60. It ended up losing the race.

This isn't my type of betting but I expect to do it every now and then. I would presume watching the race on T.V. makes it a little easier to gauge the chance of the fave winning.

Last edited by michaelg : 12th August 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12th August 2012, 04:14 PM

OK. Thanks mg.

― Earl Nightingale