Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 27th June 2005, 02:40 PM

Default TAB "Commission"

Does anyone know what the Tab take is on the various different bets. I think it must be about 17% in the win pool, and 20% in the place pool but I'd like to know what it is in the Exacta, Quinella, Trifecta, Daily double, etc.

Thanks

KV
Old 27th June 2005, 04:43 PM

I am sure it is about the same or more
Old 27th June 2005, 06:03 PM

Default pretty sure

i reckon w/p=15% andthe rest is 17or18%,,,cheers...gazman..
Old 27th June 2005, 06:32 PM

By law the totes can only take out 16% overalll and that's why they sometimes have their so-called sales when they lower the normal take-out rate on certain so-called products. The normal take-outs for win and place is 14.5% while for the trifecta and first fours it is 20%.
Old 27th June 2005, 08:40 PM

Wink tab take outs

100 % for most !
Old 28th June 2005, 08:28 AM

Default pretty sure

i think or im pretty sure that the tabs also round down everything=say its meant to be 1.98 they will take it down to 1.90 and its worth big $$$$$$$ to them.
Old 28th June 2005, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer
By law the totes can only take out 16% overalll and that's why they sometimes have their so-called sales when they lower the normal take-out rate on certain so-called products. The normal take-outs for win and place is 14.5% while for the trifecta and first fours it is 20%.

This raises two interesting questions in my mind. Firstly, why does the total at the bottom of the bottom of the virtual formguide "live odds" always total over 117% for the win pool for all tabs and the place pool 360% (120% per place). Is this a bit of acceptable rounding that the Tab is allowed to keep?

Secondly, let's say we as 'informed' punters are ten percent better than the average joe who has a bet. Based on that we might expect to get 10% more out of the pool than average but 15% less because of the take. Therefore we might loose say 5%.
If we bet on the quinella would we be 10% better than the masses on each horse giving us about 20% edge on the herd - less the 15% making us likely to come out 5% ahead? And on trifecta 30% ahead on our selections - less the 20% take giving us a 10% profit?
Maybe we should be betting the exotics.

KV
Old 28th June 2005, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVictor
This raises two interesting questions in my mind. Firstly, why does the total at the bottom of the bottom of the virtual formguide "live odds" always total over 117% for the win pool for all tabs and the place pool 360% (120% per place). Is this a bit of acceptable rounding that the Tab is allowed to keep?

KV. Disregarding the rounding down affect, the win pool would be 116.95% (14.5%/85.5%). Rounding down would make the take-out higher, more so when with short priced favs, eg. a dividend of $2.19 would be rounded down to $2.10 which would amount to a lot more dosh going into the TAB's coffers than a dividend of $9.99 being rounded down to $9.90.

It can even be worse with the rounding down of short priced favs for the place, eg. $1.19 down to $1.10.
Old 28th June 2005, 10:58 AM

Thumbs down rounding

"rounding" - by any other name it would be called "thievery"
Old 28th June 2005, 11:27 AM

Red face

I believe the TAB takeout for quadrellas is a huge 20%, yet this most probably still provides the best value of the exotics. An all-up/parlay bet is taxed at approximately 16% for each of the four legs which makes it terrible value whilst the quaddie is taxed only once. Out of interest I have for some time been, for dry tracks only, comparing an all-up dividend to the quaddie dividend. 9 times out of 10 the quaddie is superior. The general exception is when a short-priced fave wins one of the legs. It seems faves are vastly overbet in quaddies, and what exacerbates the fave factor is that it is the sub when there is a scratching/s, which means that when there is a scratching extra money is automatically bet on the fave.

On Sunday, an all-up winning divvy at Murwillumbah paid $1,092, the quaddie was $1,400. At Casterton, the all-up paid $2,920, the quaddie $3,800. And yesterday, the all-up at Bairnsdale paid $19,283 and the quaddie $27,000.

The quinella and trifectas dividends are more or less consistent with the divivies for Win, second and third, but this is usually not the case with quaddies. And as there are many more combinations than the other exotics makes it all the more appealing even though relatively smaller pools could distort the divvy.