Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 28th June 2005, 03:35 PM
Banned

Default Tipster's Plan

I have picked out 2 tipsters to follow. 1 in Sydney and 1 in Melbourne. The plan is you follow their top 3 tips win only and so far the results from 7/5 to 25/6 are.

375 tips for 83 winners a strike rate of 22.1%

The outlay is $375.00 for a return of $390.50 a profit of $15.50 and a return of 4.1% ROI

benny
Old 28th June 2005, 05:36 PM
Suspended. Invalid e-mail address.

Red face

Benny

I have no wish to burst your bubble mate, but you could do better throwing darts at a dartboard whilst blindfolded. Anything that hits the wall is a no-bet...

I must applaud your tenacity though, even though so many people have told you that there is no easy way to win consistently at gambling (investing for the more serious), you continue to search for an easy answer.

If you made a profit of $15.50 on 375 wagers the tipsters are obviously backing favourites or you backed them as place bets. This is just what the bookies and the agencies would like you to do, it is a no win situation over the long term.

I have noticed that you come in for some harsh treatment on this forum but I must admit, you bring a lot of it upon yourself.

Please listen to the advice that you are given carefully and if you aren't sure what it means, ask for clarification.

Good luck with your future betting.
Old 28th June 2005, 06:11 PM
Banned

They are win bets and just to show you some of the prices were $8.60, 1 at $10 plus 1 at $14. The ave price is $4.70.

benny
Old 28th June 2005, 08:20 PM

Unhappy

Benny,

I really have to agree Zlotti. You should stop looking for the magical, surefire, 100% guaranteed or your money back, no sweat system out there...commercial or otherwise.

I don't punt for a living but my profit margin has substantially improved since I started taking notice of what some of the other forum members have to say. Some people "here" actually make money from this and most of them would admit that they either do a lot of work each week (watching videos, studying sectional times etc) or have put in a lot of work in the past narrowing down a set of "statistically significant" variables which help them single out a winner.

Take it from me, with that small a sample size and that small a profit and strike rate, I wouldn't be putting all your super into it on July 1.

Sorry to be harsh.
Old 28th June 2005, 10:16 PM

Thumbs down Work it out....

Okay Benny

I promise this will be the last time I try to make you see the light...

We will have to make some assumptions before we can start:

You continue following the same tipsters for 365 days and they give you the same ROI of 4.1%

You are in the average tax bracket

You have $2794 to spare

You continue to get an average price of $4.70

Can you feel the tension mounting?

Your return will be $115.46 on an outlay of $2793.37 in 365 days

Also consider the time and services required to lay 2794 bets either by telephone, internet or agency. You will be paid a handsome 4.1 cents per bet which is surprisingly similar to your ROI. (the telephone option is not a good idea, its going to cost you $419.10 just for the bets @15 cents)

The 22.1% strike rate you pointed out means that 77.9% of the time, they were wrong in their selections. (which is about average for paper tipsters)

So, to summarise: You wagered $2794 to win $116 with a 78% chance that you won't achieve it.

Consider this alernative: Deposit your $2794 into an interest bearing account with no fees or charges (ever) with an interest rate of 5.5% (Don't tell me there aren't any...)

Even after tax you will have made $124.49, that is a $9.03 increase in your yearly profit. And what did you do for your $124.49? Zip...

It's no where near as much fun as the GG's but it's good economics unless you can lift your ROI. It stops being fun when you lose consistently.

Anyway, as I said at the outset, this will be my last post regarding your finances. I apologise in advance for any spelling, calculation or syntax errors. (could be the Red Ned) I have done it mainly for fun, but also out of a genuine concern in your inability to apply reason.

Good luck with your betting account!
Old 29th June 2005, 09:45 AM

Benny i'm not going to tell you it cant be done but if you do want a profitable system your system has to have an edge that hardly anyone else is using.

Blindly following a tipster has no edge(over the rest of the betting public).

My suggestion to you would be to sit down and have a think about a way to find consistent winners that the majority dont.

I'm not claiming to be a success at the punting game but i've had my head in form guides researching various systems for years,it's all been like an apprenticeship for me,i'm aware of the tricks of the trade now,you'd be wise to listen to the people around here,they have done their time too.

I'm not going to reveal my edge but the one tip i will give you is to try to bet on horses that have not yet reached the peak of their racing careers.

Your tipsters may tip some good priced winners but if you only bet on the up and comers he tips instead of the been there and done thats he will no doubt tip plenty of you'd be in a much better financial position at years end.
Old 29th June 2005, 10:01 AM

Let's take another view. Benny is a happy but poverty bound Aussie Joe just avoiding financial ruin by the seat of his pants but feeling he deserves a little bit of excitement to brighten the struggle for existence that is his daily life. He walks to the TAB which is just down the road from him so his bets cost him nothing to make. His next door neighbour gets the paper delivered but Benny can get up early enough to carefully unfold it, jot down the tipsters info and fold it up again before his neighbour is awake. His info costs him nothing. Now he's making his bets and actually earning himself a bit of beer money (although not enough to worry about becoming an alchoholic). He can go down to the pub (on the days he comes out in front) and skite to his mates "I'm one of the elite 5% that makes a profit on the punt". He has earned status, enjoyed the buzz we all get from picking a winner and can raise a middle finger to the banks and their interest sapping charges.
Let's face it, Benny is a conundrum. We don't know what he wants from the punt or what drives him. He's an enigma wrapped in an enigma wrapping thingy.
Benny, for heaven's sake tell us about yourself.

Sorry, I'm beginning to ramble now.

KV
Old 29th June 2005, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVictor
He's an enigma wrapped in an enigma wrapping thingy.
KV

LMAO

Where can i buy one of them.
Old 29th June 2005, 10:29 AM

Zlotti,

Whilst I agree that Benny's plan is flawed, I don't think your maths re his potential profit is correct.

From the stats he has presented he is having around 200 bets per month. If he has a bank of $2500 and is betting 1% of the bank per bet, he is betting $5000 per month. If his POT is 4% he makes $200 in the first month or $2400 in a year - he has practically doubled his money. If he chooses to increase bets as the bank grows, he will obviously make more.

The beauty of a "high action" betting strategy is the turnover. Even a modest return of 5% POT is lucrative.

I doubt the long term prospects of his plan based on the tips of a journalist very strongly but if one can find a method that plods along at 5% and provides a reasonably large amount of wagers, you'd be rich.
Old 29th June 2005, 11:11 AM

Red face

Hammers

Read his mail again....

375 tips for 83 winners a strike rate of 22.1%

The outlay is $375.00 for a return of $390.50 a profit of $15.50 and a return of 4.1% ROI

375 $1 bets = no staking plan

If his average return divi drops below $4.5248868778280542986425339366516 he is on the road to ruin. Damn, I said I wasn't going to post anymore about Benny's finances. Oh well, I'm a number junkie.... what can I do?

Zlotti