Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 15th December 2007, 11:59 PM

Default Staking - Taking a loss making system and making a profit.

Wow this forum is dead these days. Someone should start a post on staking... so thats what I will do ...

If you use a so called "stupid" staking method of trying to win your stake back + $1 on favs how would you go ? Well I started this a while back and here are some results.

The only rules were back every fav and a bank was stopped after it made 100% profit or went bust.

Here are actual results:
Using 30 banks of $1000.
Bank busted 12 times so a loss of $12000
Bank made a profit of 100+%18 times so a return of $18,000 (actually more as we made over 100% with the final win most times).

Total profit = 30 - 12 + 18 = 36 = 6K profit.

Thats a nice profit especially on a so called losing system (backing all favs).
This is based on actual results over several months.

I am sure this will get some conversation going ...

Good Luck
Old 16th December 2007, 04:32 AM

Playing Devil's advocate here, so I might need some further information..

Which favourite, prepost, tab, bookie, betfair?
What prices, tab, bookie, top fluc, betfair?

I don't say it can't be done, because you did it, but I do query whether the next 1,000 might be Total profit = 6K loss.

However, you juggle the staking plan, eventually the average odds will catch up, be it 1,000 or 10,000 bets from now.

You could however take Banker's insurance a la Blackjack, and stop as soon as cumulative loss is greater than 50% of cumulative profit.

I.E. keep the ball rolling until things turn ugly and still walk away with the chocolates. You might get a very nice run for a while.
I have played blackjack this way and took home 15,000 from a starting bank of 200 at Crown (three orange tigers was nice), but then they barred me, they thought I was card counting
This was 8 years ago, and I haven't been back since.
*RaceCensus now updated to 30/04/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 16th December 2007, 08:17 AM

Chrome,

Using Betfair odds 1 min from the jump.

I believe it works because favs almost make a level stakes profit using betfair ) before commission) so its only really making a slight loss after commission.

Good Luck.
Old 16th December 2007, 08:59 AM
Suspended.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmip1
Wow this forum is dead these days. Someone should start a post on staking... so thats what I will do ...

If you use a so called "stupid" staking method of trying to win your stake back + $1 on favs how would you go ? Well I started this a while back and here are some results.

Good Luck

When there is no other conversation going, drag out the old loss chasing 'progressive' [ho ho] staking chestnut.

With a bit of luck wesmip1 and after lots of gobbly-gook, someone will try to sell you something :-)

Last edited by crash : 16th December 2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 16th December 2007, 01:28 PM

Crash,

Just trying to get some conversation going but it doesn't even look like this topic can stir up a discussion.

Unfortunately management seemed to have killed the forum...

Oh well.... can't do much about it now.

Good Luck.
Old 16th December 2007, 03:13 PM
Suspended.

Yeah, their terrified when we disagree so they jump in and spoil it, even though we used to always sort it out nicely in the end. Never a dull moment in the good old days:-)
Old 16th December 2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmip1
Chrome,

Using Betfair odds 1 min from the jump.

I believe it works because favs almost make a level stakes profit using betfair ) before commission) so its only really making a slight loss after commission.

Good Luck.

Yes, I believe it works because of the Betfair involvement.
I think you'd really struggle on the TABS.
*RaceCensus now updated to 30/04/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 17th December 2007, 08:04 AM
Suspended.

If it's working on Betfair the system is not making a loss there long term, so it's not chasing losses. If it is, it will eventually lose there too.
Old 19th December 2007, 05:53 PM

Default Staking;Taking a loss making system and making a profit.

Quite some time ago, a reputable member stated he bet 1/2 % of his balance. While maybe not making a profit, it certainly takes a lot of bets to go broke. Others say 10%, but the strike rate would have to be very good. Personally I like 2%, increasing or decreasing at the end of the day, or after a prescribed win or loss amount
Old 19th December 2007, 09:50 PM

My spreadsheet updates after every race so on winning it allows me to bet more. On down runs it decreases my bets immediately. I think 'after every race' is the key. To not alter it until the end of the day means your either doing yourself out of decent money on a good day and of course.....alot to catch up if you realise at the end of the day its not been so good but youve been betting a higher stake then you should.

I think your right betting 2% win betting when your strike rate is lower. I kept a table next to my 5% place betting ages ago with a 10% bracket to see the difference. i found the 10% a bit too fickle.

Try this but alter the flat rate & profit rate until it fits as you like it (the 10% can be as much as 20%
>>> 2% flat rate + 10% of days profit added on top. Your staking more but the 'more' isnt extra out of your bank but a slice of what your already won. It makes winning days very lucrative. On losing days it makes no difference as 10% of $0 = $0 <<< so its just the usual 2% flat rate your betting anyway.
You can also drop the profit % right down as the day goes on to secure your winnings a bit tighter.