Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 30th September 2005, 10:26 AM

Default The 40/60 System

Hi All,

Working on a simplistic win and place system which basically finds safer each way horses to bet on. Rules are as follows:
1) Only select horses with a winning percentage of 40% or higher the win and 60% or higher the place

2) No two or three year old races or restricted class races.

3) Only select horses that have finished within 4 lengths of the winner at their last start, provided they did not win.

4) Only select horses with a proven first or second up record in similar quality races.

5) Only select horses that are proven at the track or distance (50% place at worst).

6) Never select a horse with an apprentice jockey on board unless they are claiming below the minimum (generally these horses fail rules 1 & 3 hence the reason for minimum weight and the claim)

7) Never select a horse that has drawn off the track. Stick to horses that have drawn barriers 1-7 (unless down the straight at Flemington or Vic Park).

8) Only bet if the odds for the win are greater than $3.50

9) In races where there are more than one that suffice the above rules no bet.

10) 25 units the win 25 units the place.

Does it look a decent method?
Old 30th September 2005, 11:23 AM

Default Short priced

Hey,

just looking at this system I would expect it to not get many bets at all and also all of the bets it does throw up are going to be very short priced.

But saying all of that it may still work as there is a high % chance the horses will win.

Good luck with it.
Old 30th September 2005, 01:13 PM

True, but not always. That is why I have applied the $3.50 rule. Tomorrow there are three to choose from:
Horses to consider 1/10/2005:

Randwick race 9 #13 Fumble

Belmont race 2 #8 Stormy Gale

Belmont race 5 #7 Local Legend

As I am in Sydney have no idea of the early market for the Belmont pair but Fumble is quoted at $9 in early markets. Thanks for your input. I'll road test it here for a month or two and see how it goes.
Old 30th September 2005, 01:43 PM

Thumbs up

Something to think about ...

Maybe create yourself a blackbook as I think horses with a 40% win rate would be quite rare ( might only be a 20 or 30 meeting your criteria). That way you don't have to check each race for the form. You will just need to check if any of your horses are scheduled to be running on the day.

Good luck with it .. I will follow these selections tommorow as I am eager to see how it performs.

Good Luck
Old 30th September 2005, 02:20 PM

Hopefully it throws a few winners up. Well, we'll see on Saturday anyway. Thanks again for your input. A black book is a good idea. Didn't even think of that. But the vitual form guide is easy enough to scan.
Old 30th September 2005, 09:17 PM

Carnegie,

I have done some analysis but can't (or at least without a bit more effort) do all the criterea:
I have done:

1) Only select horses with a winning percentage of 40% or higher the win and 60% or higher the place - Win % only

2) No two or three year old races or restricted class races. - See results breakdown, assume 3yo+ is OK

3) Only select horses that have finished within 4 lengths of the winner at their last start, provided they did not win. - OK

4) Only select horses with a proven first or second up record in similar quality races. - Not done

5) Only select horses that are proven at the track or distance (50% place at worst). - Not done

6) Never select a horse with an apprentice jockey on board unless they are claiming below the minimum (generally these horses fail rules 1 & 3 hence the reason for minimum weight and the claim) - Not done

7) Never select a horse that has drawn off the track. Stick to horses that have drawn barriers 1-7 (unless down the straight at Flemington or Vic Park). - OK except for the exceptions

8) Only bet if the odds for the win are greater than $3.50 - OK

9) In races where there are more than one that suffice the above rules no bet. - Not done

10) 25 units the win 25 units the place. - Can only do win results.

Results:
As above:
Wins

Starts

Places

S/R

Place S/R

Win Return

POT

15.10%

42.19%

2.47%

As above but including restricted races:
Wins

Starts

Places

S/R

Place S/R

Win Return

POT

16.26%

41.52%

2.68%

As above but including 2 and 3yo races and including restriced races.
Wins

Starts

Places

S/R

Place S/R

Win Return

POT

16.98%

40.03%

6.67%

Edit: Results for Syd/Melb metro from 1/1/2003...

Last edited by blocka : 30th September 2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 30th September 2005, 09:30 PM

F**k mate. Thanks for the effort. What you did was good enough but we'll see how it goes live over the next month or so. The reason why I have left out the 2 & 3 year old races is that many of them basically fit the criteria so it is hard to nail one, plus their form is hard to line up. Hopefully I can get some positive results. Like I said though, I only had a think about it yesterday whilst tinkering with an older system. Thanks again. Go the Tigers.
Old 30th September 2005, 09:55 PM

Just a tip Carnegie, keep track of the results of those meeting the criterea that are $4 or less.
Old 30th September 2005, 11:53 PM

Carn Ex. Just 2 cents worth mate, where I believe you are on the right track is that with 40-60, you are already amongst the winners with this rule alone!!
But I still can't go beyond implementing my pet filters: racing within 21 days over less than 2000m, (unless 1st up over 1200 or less) and must have a win in exposed form, and carrying 60kg's or less and NOT ridden by a 3kg's apprentice.

I've got more but THEY are the gospel, but Fillies and Mares races or Fillies only are really suspect in my view!
Old 1st October 2005, 11:29 PM

Results from todays selections :

Randwick race 9 #13 Fumble - 3rd $3.10
Belmont race 2 #8 Stormy Gale - Not Placed
Belmont race 5 #7 Local Legend - 2nd $1.70