Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 5th July 2004, 08:06 AM
Member.

CRICKET: It's Australia v the Rest of the World
By ROBERT CRADDOCK

AUSTRALIAN cricket has landed a coup by winning the right to host a series against a Rest of the World side next year. Sydney will host a one-off Test between Australia and the Rest of the World from October 13-18 while Melbourne's Telstra Dome will host three one-day matches on October 5, 7 and 9. Australia defeated bids from India and South Africa to land cricket's Super Series. Super stars Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara are expected to spearhead the visiting team and a likely invitee is champion Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan who has boycotted the current Sri Lankan tour of Australia for personal reasons. As the world's leading Test wicket-taker and highest-profile spinner, Muralitharan will be one of the first names chosen and the series may well be the last chance Australian audiences have to see him live.

Other players certain to be in contention are the world's fastest bowler, Pakistan's Shoaib Akhtar, and outstanding South African allrounder Jacques Kallis. The Rest of the World side will be one of the finest teams ever assembled. The series will be beamed to live audiences all around the cricketing globe and the substantial profits will be used to help developing nations. Australia is not yet a confirmed participant in the series because the International Cricket Council has decided on an April 1 cut-off point before awarding the honour to the side placed number one in its official rankings. But Australia is so far ahead on both ladders it could lose form over the next nine months and still finish on top.

The last time an Australian side hosted an official Rest of the World team was in the summer of 1971-72, when international stars such as Garfield Sobers, Zaheer Abbas, Tony Greig, Rohan Kanhai and Clive Lloyd took on Ian Chappell's Australians. The Test match will be held over six days to maximise the chance of a result but will not be given official Test status. The series will be held every four years and ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed said he was excited by its potential. The ICC will choose an elite group of former Test players to select the Rest of the World Test and one-day squads.

As good as the Australian Cricket team is, I reckon we'll probably get thrashed. What do you guys think?
Old 5th July 2004, 08:39 AM
Member.

Yeah, same here. He throws EVERY ball, not just the dreaded 'doosra'. Actually, there'd be two throwers in that team if they pick Shoaib Akhtar, or as I like to call him 'Chucker Khan'. :smile:
Old 5th July 2004, 09:03 AM
Banned

IMO opinion cricket is more of an individuals sport. Might say that there is NO team work at all (except for field placings). My point is players don't really need to have played together.

An all stars rugby team obviously won't perform nearly as well as it'd look on paper. It would in cricket though, and I'd definately back the 'rest of world'.
Old 5th July 2004, 09:31 AM
Member.

Having played Cricket for many years, I can tell you that it IS a team game, but definitely not as much as the Football codes.

When you look at the players the rest of the world team would have to choose from, they would have to start favourites, no matter how well Australia is playing at the time.

By the way, I can't understand why there was any question over where the games would be played. How stupid would it be to have a game between Australia and the rest of the world in South Africa or India??? If they are going to have these games every four years, it should always be played on the number 1 team's home ground. At least that will give them some chance.
Old 5th July 2004, 09:35 AM

Prize money not to be scoffed at - the team that wins the Test will take away $US1 million, while $750,000 is expected to be on offer for the one-day series.

Old 5th July 2004, 02:55 PM
Suspended

Quote:
On 2004-07-05 08:39, sportznut wrote:
Yeah, same here. He throws EVERY ball, not just the dreaded 'doosra'. Actually, there'd be two throwers in that team if they pick Shoaib Akhtar, or as I like to call him 'Chucker Khan'. :smile:

Who are you agreeing with Sportznut?
Yourself?
Am I dreaming?
Did Brisbane actually win by 12 goals and the Saints beat Port in a thriller and Melbourne beat Adelaide?
Whats going on?.

Old 5th July 2004, 03:01 PM

He was agreeing with PAL but management has decided pal dosent belong here so they wiped all his posts so floydyboy is back
Old 5th July 2004, 03:11 PM
Suspended

So why didn't they just rub out where it says PAL and put Floydyboy there.
Or get you to do it.
Or me.

Old 5th July 2004, 05:48 PM
Member.

Yeah, that looks wierd now. It looks like I'm talking to myself which I something I would never do. Would I?

No of course you wouldn't.

Thanks.

Your welcome.
Old 5th July 2004, 05:53 PM
Banned

Sportz, could aust be toppled for the no.1 spot by then, i dont know how many tests are played between now and then, is it possible?