Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 25th August 2007, 10:57 PM

They've posted an initial 72 hour ban of any equine movement. All greyhound authorities have been contacted to add day meetings to their current schedule to meet demand. I can see the ban lasting until next week's end but further than that i believe racing will go ahead. i doubt all the testing and observations to be done can be done in a 72 hour period and as someone said earlier due to inexposure before it will pose more of a threat.
Old 26th August 2007, 08:07 AM
Suspended.

Latest news is that up to 80 horses have the flu now. I won't be holding my breath for an early lifting of the ban, but hopefully we'll get some of the Spring Carnival [?]
Old 26th August 2007, 08:50 AM
Suspended.

From the Melb. Age Sunday:

A veterinarian confirmed 200 horses at Sydney's Centennial Park stables had flu symptoms. There were also reports last night that horses in Tamworth had contracted the non-fatal virus. It is understood a handful of them have travelled to country meetings in recent days.

The first case of equine influenza was detected in a prize stallion at the Eastern Creek quarantine station west of Sydney on Thursday last week. It is understood the virus has spread to four other stallions at the quarantine site, with another 47 stallions and racehorses at Eastern Creek under extreme risk of contracting the virus.

Twenty-seven horses at Victoria's Spotswood quarantine site are being tested after several came into contact with horses that ended up at Eastern Creek.

Lasseters Sports bet managing director Gerard Daffy said he had "information from an industry insider" that on Monday the Federal Government would announce a 28-day shutdown across the country.

"So how can you get a cups horse fit in that time? I'm told the spring carnival will be pushed a month (back) to December," Mr Daffy said.

Leading Victorian trainer David Hayes said a rethink for the spring racing carnival would have to be considered if the ban were to be extended.

"I'd imagine one of the options with a national truce made between the states and no racing for a month, you would have to put the race dates back six weeks," Mr Hayes said.
Old 26th August 2007, 08:52 AM
Banned

Whats the big deal anyway, so what if you miss a few meetings, theres more to life than betting on horses 24-7
Old 26th August 2007, 09:12 AM
Banned

Very sad indeed
just for my own curiosity I thought I wonder what all the desperate punters will do for a bet
well with Darwin being the only meeting in the gallops i thought i'd compare the win pools for the last two weeks
Win Pool 18/8/07 (5 races)=$39,115
Win Pool Yesterday(5 races)=$240,575
About a 600% increase
Then i thought how many of us would get on the dishlickers
Wentworth park 18/8/07=$120,240
Wentworth Park 25/8/07=$184,305
about 53% increase

I'm sure pokies,keno,sportsbet,chook raffles were also up

Scary about Darwin though isn't it
Old 26th August 2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmember
Whats the big deal anyway, so what if you miss a few meetings, theres more to life than betting on horses 24-7

some of us make our living out of this industry, if all this is true, i'm forced to take a 4 week unpaid leave.

my fingers are crossed that all this is an over-reaction. just because a horse has 'flu symptoms' doesnt mean it has EI, it could be any number of cold & flu viruses. just have to wait for the test results, which take about a week.
Old 26th August 2007, 10:09 AM
Suspended.

74.000 workers in Victoria alone make there living directly or indirectly from the racing industry.
Old 26th August 2007, 10:40 AM
Banned

Smile

Goldmember.

I agree .There is always NZ races and the greyhounds might make a bit of a comeback.

Failing all that there is MR CASHMAN on the pokies.

HAYCHEE. Where are you at my desperate hour of need.

Cheers.
darky.

Last edited by darkydog2002 : 26th August 2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 26th August 2007, 11:59 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

It's quite obvious that Goldmember or darkydog2002 don't derive their income from horse racing.
Old 26th August 2007, 12:17 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpan
It's quite obvious that Goldmember or darkydog2002 don't derive their income from horse racing.

They are obviously not selling tips or systems then are they?????