Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 9th July 2005, 01:06 AM

Yeah it's cheaper in bulk KV.

There are a few DB service providers, Southcoast, Accuratings, RSB, VRC are the four I know best. I think TRB (website) do as well but slightly differently. The first 2 I mentioned cost about $4000 per year, I think RSB is more exe as is VRC (I think they're combined somehow).

The first two are well worth it, they also have an error rate in their data, but no data is totally clean. From them though you get all results, all fields and a ready made database in which to put it, or you can do like I do, use their results files to make your own DB. Sure quicker than getting it from websites.
Old 9th July 2005, 01:48 PM

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at them all.

KV
Old 10th July 2005, 10:33 PM

Hey Duritz,

You still having problems with your transferring of data from Excel to Access? If so, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Ideally, if you could send through a sample of the excel data (10 rows or so) in an excel spreadsheet and the structure of your access database (ideally in an empty database) then I should be able to lend a hand.
Old 11th July 2005, 10:38 AM

Default Interesting article on converting databases

Although I am no programmer in general.
I know this can work to according to the article.

http://www.aaronballman.com/program...eclToRbDecl.php
Old 11th July 2005, 10:39 AM

Try
http://www.aaronballman.com/program...eclToRbDecl.php

You may have to email Arron and ask your specific, but it's another option and keeps choices "alive".
Old 11th July 2005, 06:42 PM

Duritz,
I know ************ all about programming and don't want to but this might help you.
I got the site from the 12 year old son of a friend who wrote a programme or database or whatever you want to call it for his uncle.

www.REALbasic.com

I hope this helps and maybe what you are looking for.

Cheers and good luck with your efforts.
Old 12th July 2005, 10:02 AM

Thanks for all your help guys, greatly appreciated. Have been learning about VBE, and have sort of worked out how to do it. Basically, I write a command in an Excel macro to do the calcs, then another command which runs a macro I set up in Access to import the data, then back repeats over and over. Seems to be working, and though I am sure it's not the most efficient method, it'll be like the hare and the tortoise....
Old 12th July 2005, 10:51 AM

Default reminiscant

No worries Duritz.

The method you have described, I have been there and done that, so to speak. Although I have not had to use Access, I found another database at the time was a bit easier to work with.

The point is this,Excel and Database (Any) is a very good way to use as proto-type, and it can remain as your "program" if it works for you, good !
From there though, I found there were requirements to enhance the system for it to do more. Meaning, everything Excel and a Database was already doing would then be replicated by developing a program.

I am sure when you get to the end of your current cycle of methods ( I know it can become tedious), the "logic" then will possibly direct you "program.exe" development.

If or when you do, and do some interim cost findings to have it developed, the costs are astounding in real dollar terms. This is ok to.
Programmers are like people, they need to eat,wash,pay the bills just the same as everyone else !
My quote was much more than the figure I posted when I got to this stage. ( No, I did not pay to have it done, incase anyone is wondering,but we done our homework prior.)

In hindsight, I would have intergrated some of the Database with the Database develoment package provided with RB. But RB was not up to it then, it is now with the latest version.
Once you do ever get to this stage and once you do have your "program.exe" (for lack of better terms), it's another "dimension".

Good luck with your projects.

Last edited by bluetown : 12th July 2005 at 10:54 AM.