Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 28th December 2006, 10:29 PM

We'll be choosing horses in 3 different categories (4yo+, 3yo, 2yo) and there'll be a minimum and maximum number of horses you can choose and a minimum and maximum amount of money you can spend in each category. So yes, we will have a different number of horses.

As for that trading idea, it sounds okay in theory, but I don't know that it would really work. I think it might just confuse things. In any case, if someone had a horse which was going well, then they wouldn't want to get rid of it. And if someone had a horse which wasn't going well, then nobody else would want it.

So, I don't think I'll be using that idea, not quite how you explained it anyway. There will however be two further trading periods during the competition, the first one just before the big Melbourne races, then another just before the Golden Slipper.
Old 28th December 2006, 10:42 PM

I will need a weeks notice but if told when and where trade will take place i'll be there!
Old 28th December 2006, 11:46 PM

Yeah, no worries.

To be certain, check out the thread when I post it on Jan 1. But I'd say that it's highly likely you'll need to be able to come on here on Sunday January 7 in order to have the best shot at getting one of the top 4yo+ horses. Then Sunday Jan 14 for the top 3yos, and Sunday Jan 21 for the top 2yos.

Last edited by Sportz : 28th December 2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old 30th December 2006, 11:53 AM

So I assume there are no more people interested in joining?

I'll post the thread for this comp on either Jan 1 or Jan 2, but here's how the selection of horses will work:

People will have to come on here at least once a week (preferably a couple of times) over the next 3 weeks. Sunday nights will be the really important time if you want to grab the best horses. This is how it will work. There will be an auction for the very best horses in each category and the bidding will be open for about 4 or 5 days. But it will close on Sunday nights. Then we will have another 2 or 3 days to choose the rest of our horses in that category. First up will be the 4yo+ category next week, then the 3yos and finally the 2yos. I've done it that way to give us a bit more time to think about the 2yos. The Magic Millions will be decided by then.

Last edited by Sportz : 30th December 2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 30th December 2006, 12:26 PM
Banned

sportz are the 'very best horses' nominated by you?
Old 30th December 2006, 01:54 PM

Well, okay, let me rephrase that. They may not be your opinion of the best horses, but I'd suggest they'd be pretty close. Basically, they will be the horses which I have put the highest reserve price on.

Here's how it will work. I will put a 'reserve' price next to each horse. During the auction, that price is the minimum amount of money that you must bid for that horse. Let's say the reserve price is $300,000. If you bid $300,000 for that horse and then nobody else posts another bid, the horse is yours. BUT if someone does subsequently make a higher bid, then you'd have to go higher again to outbid them and buy the horse. The bidding can continue on like that right up until the deadline on Sunday night. By the way, the auction deadlines for each of the highest priced horses will actually be staggered slightly, so that people who miss out on one horse can then make a bid on the next one.

After the auction of the top priced horses finishes on the Sunday, the rest of the horses are chosen beginning on Monday night on a straight "first in first served" basis. People may even decide to completely ignore the auctions. They may prefer to buy a large number of cheaper horses, rather than a small number of expensive ones.
Old 30th December 2006, 02:14 PM
Banned

so all the horses will be sold by auction if more than one person wants it?? is that right, or is it just the top teir horses?
Old 30th December 2006, 02:37 PM

i'm in thanks

should be fun
Old 30th December 2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORSE WHISPERER
so all the horses will be sold by auction if more than one person wants it?? is that right, or is it just the top teir horses?

No. Only the top priced horses. Whatever horses are left after the auction on the Sunday can simply be claimed at their reserve price by the first person that chooses them from Monday night on.
Old 30th December 2006, 04:00 PM

By the way, does anyone have any info for me on:

Railings
Headturner
Our Smoking Joe

Have Railings and Headturner been retired and is Our Smoking Joe off the scene for an extended period due to that injury he had before the Cup?